This magnificent colored lamp is one of many that have a history associated with the San Francisco Opera House. According to the recollection of others, the opera house ordered many of these lamps in 1931. The lamps were used for coloring effects on stage and at least three other colors (all in “naturally colored” glass) were ordered in this massive 1,000 watt size. The lamps were only used for a short period of time and apparently were stored away, only to be discovered again many decades later still in their original blue boxes. The San Francisco Opera House also utilized colored Champion lamps of smaller sizes and these too have found their way into the hands of other lamp collectors.