Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Bright light..  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Scott

Bright light..
« on: October 18, 2000, 10:39:00 am »
A while back I bought a reflector lamp at a flea market to use as lights for my indoor cactuses during winter. In the socket was a bulb labelled "superflood No. 2 and the name "Wasbash"  then, "USA", followed by 105-120v and the phrase "avg. life six hours". I take it this is a photoflood bulb? If my old AC ammeter is correct,this is about a 1200 watt bulb. Anyone know anything about it?

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Bright light..
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2000, 12:53:00 pm »
Hi Scott,

I too, have one of these "Wabash Superflood no.2" bulbs. You`re right, it is what`s known as "photoflood" lamps and is intended to provide brilliant white light for photography work. I think mine`s 500 watts. Actually it`d be happier on a lower voltage, the extremely short life is due to the fact that the filament is severely overrrun to get the blinding white light. When used, they`re only turned on for a very short time, or may be used in a light fitting with 2 (or 4) identical bulbs, and has a switch that changes the 2 lamps over from paralell to series connection so the voltage accross each one is half, this way they can be left lit on the lower brightness in between taking the photos, therefore preserving the life considerably.

I expect you`ve already lit yours and seen exactly how bright it is, right? It sure did surprise me when I lit mine!

Hope this helps.

------------------

-chris

http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/chrismillinship

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited October 18, 2000).]

Offline migette

Bright light..
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2000, 06:13:00 pm »
hi scott, looks like we share another hobby I too grow cacti and succulents and find the need to give them more light. Have you tried True Lite made by Dura Test these give a little UV to help them on, back to the lamp you got, agree with Chris they seem to be a type of photoflood  and possibly still used in that field where flashlight is unsuitable or could cause fright if taking animal pictures. All the best Peter.
Peter Bent
London
U.K

Offline Scott

Bright light..
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2000, 08:38:00 pm »

In my last apartment, I had a shelf for my cactuses,and a single fluorescent lamp and two incandescents provided light for them, and they seemed to do just fine.The lights were controlled by a timer,usually for 6 hours a day. I used everyday lamps,and had good results.