Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: OSRAM HgN 24V / 13W What is this?  (Read 11801 times)

Offline hennetv

OSRAM HgN 24V / 13W What is this?
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:05:09 am »

Hello,

can somebody tell me what this is for a lamp? Where be used for you? I am pleased about every information! Who has interest in the lamp - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6267694679&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks!

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
Re: OSRAM HgN 24V / 13W What is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:44:03 pm »
Not actually seen one of those before, but the dissimilar electrode configuration would suggest to me that it's a DC lamp.  As for purpose, I really don't know, but the possibilities would tend to be a spectral source or a UV source.  For general lighting, a low pressure mercury vapour lamp isn't going to be seen without a phosphor coating.  The abcense of warnings about UV hazards in the literature you've shown there would tend to preclude a shortwave UV source.

Someone will probably come along in a minute and totally blow this deduction out of the water...but at least I tried!

Certainly interested in this one though...

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:49:15 pm »
Unfortunately I don`t understand a lot of Deutsche, neither am I a lamp expert (or play one on TV) but that looks like a mercury spectral source of some kind.

Somewhere here amid the eternal chaos, I have a laboratory grade sodium lamp here that comes with "operating instructions" that includes details of how to power it - a diagram quite like that one except I think mine needs a 90v AC supply. It figures that regular lamp users don`t need to know, and wouldn`t understand, technical details like that, while the smart guys in white coats would prefer that kind of thing.

Interesting lamp. Wish I knew more, but this is just an idea.....

:o

Offline hennetv

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:06:22 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for the entry in the forum! It certainly is a quite old lamp. I myself didn't still see anything comparable.
Can you send me a picture of the sodium lamp?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:24:53 pm »
This looks similar to a few hollow cathode lamps that I have had in the past.  The lens-end tubular envelope also provides a hint to being some type of spectral lamp.  I would think that the instructions would provide more specifics- can anyone here translate the text into English?

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 09:12:21 am »
Hi!
Watching the second picture in which the cathode could be seen, it seems like a sort of thermionic emitter filament placed within a ceramic thermic insulating cylinder.
This lamp's cap are a three contact bayonet one, so, I think that the ionisation within the lamp could be started by heating the filament by means of an external current, owing the so low voltage applied between electrodes. Once the arc are established, the heating circuit can be opened, likewise in any regular fluorescent tube.
The schematic diagram shows this, being S the momentary action switch that allows the heating current to pass through the cathodic filament. Z seems to be a limiting resistor for heating circuit, also, W could be a series-mounted relay coil intended to open the heating circuit (S contacts) once the arc has stroke and the main current begins to flow through it.
Note also the glass sealed carbon ballasting resistor within the lamp, connected in series with the anode.
About the uses of this kind of lamp, I agree with those that Tim has said; it seems to be an spectral mercury source like those hollow cold cathode ones often used for spectral researching.
About the kind of current for this lamp, undoubtely are DC, because the german word GLEICHSTROM means exactly DIRECT CURRENT.
Regards

M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 09:14:59 am by M?nico Gonz?lez »

Offline Mónico González

An attempt of right translation.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 09:56:44 am »
Mercury Vapour Lamp HgN24V/13W for Direct Current.
To use only with series connected resistor.
---------
After brief cathode preheating (about 10 sec.) through a limiting resistor Z, the lamp strikes. The switch S (i.e. push button or relay contacts) is then opened.
For ballasting, an ohmic resistance W, wich is connected in series with the lamp, creates the difference between mains voltage (24 V and over it) and lamp voltage drop (average 13 V). The size of the resistance depends on the mains voltage and it can be taken from the table below.
For voltage fluctuations of over 10% a suitable Osram resistance (i.e. for voltage fluctuations of 24 - 28 V, 0.8 - 1.2 A /5 - 15 V) can be ordered and used for automatic constant-current maintaining.

Against I said before, W are not any relay coil, but a simple ohmic resistance connected in series to ballasting the lamp.
But if such a lamp does need an external series-resistor, I don't understand what the inside glass-sealed resistance are for.
I hope this could "spread any light" over the "tales of the mistery lamp" :-) .

Regards.
M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 09:58:50 am by M?nico Gonz?lez »

Offline hennetv

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:19:04 am »
Hello and thank you M?nico Gonz?lez

I did a drawing. I hope the drawing shows the internal setup of the lamp well. The inside resistance serves to the starts the lamp. Yes also the resistance Z is used. Z serves to the heats the cathode. The inside resistance shortens the way between anode and cathode. Through the short way and through the stream limit, a glow discharge originates. The internal resistance melted in glass. By the glass, an isolation is created. Through the electric tension (tension???)  over the resistance, it begins Main discharge.

Sorry, my English is not good!

Offline Mónico González

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 07:42:33 am »
Oh, yes, I see.
The picture doesn?t show clearly this point. In fact, watching your diagram I understood that there is present an auxiliar electrode, connected to anode by means of a resistance, placed near the cathode to aid to ionisation. These resistance are intended to limiting the current passing through the auxiliar discharge likewise in regular high pressure mercury lamps.
About your comment, in Spanish are also in use the word "tensi?n" referred to voltage. Both terms are in use here, but in Spanish, voltage are written wit "j" instead "g", at this way: "voltaje", but here, tensi?n are most commonly used.

Regards,
M. Gonz?lez.

Offline hennetv

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 06:46:37 am »
Hello,

I offer this lamp with ebay for the last time! Please look under "eBay ads!"