Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Western Electric Sunbeam / National Mazda Lamps  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Hal Kravig

• New Member!
Western Electric Sunbeam / National Mazda Lamps
« on: January 26, 2003, 11:52:00 pm »
Years ago a friend who had been an employee, then owner, of Bluff City Electric in Memphis, TN  sold me his stock of old radio tubes.  As he was old and crippled, he asked me to go up to the second floor to get them, which I did as I had been there before.  Next to the radio tubes there were quite a few NOS automotive light bulbs that I wanted to buy also because of the old and unique nature of them.  He said he could not sell them and gave me a reason that these were National Mazda Lamps of various sizes and types, headlamp, spotlight, and tail lights, etc., some tipped, but they were "recalled" in the late 1917 to 1920 period (last patent date Nov 14, 1916) and he was not permitted to sell them because of the recall.  The boxes all have a colorful, 1 7/8" circular glued-on-sticker for "Western Electric Sunbeam" on the side of the outer boxes.  About 20 years ago he went into a coma and was dying and a family member kept the store open and I bought the lamp bulbs at probably too high a price.  Later the owner died and not too long after that the place burned.  I wonder if anyone knows anything about the veracity of this story?  If you wish I can post pictures.

------------------
Hal Kravig, Memphis, TN
Hal Kravig, Memphis, TN

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
Western Electric Sunbeam / National Mazda Lamps
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 09:30:00 am »
Hi Hal,

Recalling batches of bulbs was not an unknown practice in the era you refer to, in fact every 5 years or so it still seems to happen today even with modern lamps.  In recent years, several months production of GE's modern halogen 12V reflector lamps had to be recalled because they had a much higher than normal risk of shattering in use.

Recalls are generally only made if there is a safety risk, its not worth the effort if the defect is simply that the lamp performance may be slightly impaired, and if the dimensions etc are wrong then the customer invariably sends it back anyway.  Perhaps if you post a detailed photo of one of these bulbs we may be able to identify any obvious defects with them.

Nice story anyway, well done for rescuing those lamps after so long!

James.