Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: help me identify  (Read 8933 times)

Offline one bulb guy

• New Member!
help me identify
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:53:04 pm »
hello

can someone help me identify my light bulb,This bulb has ben in my family basement since I was a kid. I remember one day wile in the basement with my dad about 35 years ago he said I want to show you something but you have to promise not to touch it. And I never did until last night. Anyway It looks old and has a sticker on it that says Economical Electric Lamp CO NY U.S.A.,It also says HILO 110V 1/3 8cp. It is threaded like a normal bulb but has a string that runs threw it that turns it on and off and operates two filaments. Unfortunately my dad has been gone over 25 years. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: help me identify
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:20:06 pm »
The bulb you have is often referred to as a "turn down lamp" or simply a "hilo" or "hylo" type lamp.  Turn down lamps had two filaments - a normal wattage type and a smaller low wattage filament.  The filaments could be controlled by various ways depending on the type of turn down lamp.  The most common turn down lamps are probably those with the pull strings that activated a switching mechanism in or on the lamp's base.  Your bulb probably dates to about 1900, give or take a couple of years, but this is just a guess since I have not seen the bulb.  If possible, consider posting a photo here of the bulb.

Offline one bulb guy

• New Member!
Re: help me identify
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:17:59 pm »
Thank you for the info. I will post a pic in a few days. Have you ever heard about the company before.