Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: European vs. American  (Read 9161 times)

Offline C-H

• New Member!
European vs. American
« on: June 29, 2003, 02:01:00 pm »
Hello,

I know the Edison base lampholders in Europe and America are different, but I wonder how different they are.

Does an E26 bulb fit a E27 holder? How about the other way around, and how about E12, E14 and E17?

This thing called a free market or globalization means that NA lamps end up here in Europe and I'd be surprised if European lamps didn't turn up in North America. It would be nice to have a common standard.

Offline Alan Franzman

• Nixie Tube Addict
  • Email a.j.franzman [A T] verizon [D O T] net
    • Nixie Tube Cross-Reference
European vs. American
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 07:23:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by C-H:
This thing called a free market or globalization means that NA lamps end up here in Europe and I'd be surprised if European lamps didn't turn up in North America. It would be nice to have a common standard.

Actually, it is a good thing that we have different standards, since we use different mains voltages!

------------------

Alan "A.J." Franzman

Email: a.j.franzman at verizon dot net

------------------
A.J.

Offline Dave

European vs. American
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 05:22:00 pm »
Actually, the E-26 and E-27 bases are very similar, so in most sockets they will interchange just fine, although the E-27 base is a little longer than the E-26 and can pose a shock hazard (in an E-26 socket) due to the upper rim sticking out, and E-26 bases will have to be able to be screwed all the way in if an E-27 socket is used, so those with wide outer shells leaving lots of clearance inside (between outer shells and the threads inside can easily take E-26 based lamps. The E-26 base is called the "medium" base here.

No the E-14 is not interchangeable with our E-12 and E-17 bases, the E-14 is actually a size somewhere in between the E-12 and E-17 bases. We like to call the latter two as "candelbra" and "intermediate" bases. The E-14, while not common in the USA, is called "mignon" here, or SES overseas, which means "small edison base".

Also note that the large "mogul" bases we have here is called the E-39 base, and Europe uses the E-40 base, or GES (giant edison base), and the funny thing, is that the E-40 base can be screwed into our E-39 sockets although a little bit of a loose fit due to deeper threads on the E-40 base, but our E-39 bases can't be screwed into an E-40 socket.

Hmmm you mean you saw some North American made light bulbs sold in Europe, at least where you are living? Here we used to get lots of cheap European made light bulbs, with E-26 bases but still with the PS-60 envelope, but they have mostly disappeared in the past few years, although some reflector lamps still come over here from Europe. I have seen very few lamps/chandeliers that were made for use overseas ending up here in the USA, but there are some around! Even a few with sockets that take in bayonet based lamps!
DMD

Offline C-H

• New Member!
European vs. American
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 11:21:00 am »
quote:

Actually, the E-26 and E-27 bases are very similar, so in most sockets they will interchange just fine, although the E-27 base is a little longer than the E-26 and can pose a shock hazard (in an E-26 socket) due to the upper rim sticking out, and E-26 bases will have to be able to be screwed all the way in if an E-27 socket is used, so those with wide outer shells leaving lots of clearance inside (between outer shells and the threads inside can easily take E-26 based lamps.

Thanks! There was more than just that single mm to it.

quote:

We like to call the latter two as "candelbra" and "intermediate" bases. The E-14, while not common in the USA, is called "mignon" here, or SES overseas, which means "small edison base".

Can you find E-14 bulbs in the US?

quote:

Also note that the large "mogul" bases we have here is called the E-39 base, and Europe uses the E-40 base, or GES (giant edison base), and the funny thing, is that the E-40 base can be screwed into our E-39 sockets although a little bit of a loose fit due to deeper threads on the E-40 base, but our E-39 bases can't be screwed into an E-40 socket.

Well, I haven't seen an E-40 base in ages. I think other types of lamps have completely replaced them.

quote:

Hmmm you mean you saw some North American made light bulbs sold in Europe, at least where you are living?

Not the bulbs, only lamps with lampholders designed for the NA market. Everything is made in South East Asia or Latin America, so it doesn't surprise me that the odd shipment ends up in Europe.   The authorities trying to uphold consumer safety keep banning products with them. I thought it might be better having a common standard that is safe anywhere.

quote:

Here we used to get lots of cheap European made light bulbs, with E-26 bases but still with the PS-60 envelope,

PS-60 envelope? Please explain!