Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: What would happen  (Read 18331 times)

Offline mr_big

What would happen
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:41:24 pm »
What would happen if I poured water into the ballast on a compact fluorescent bulb  :-D

Offline Ralph

Re: What would happen
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 09:30:57 pm »
Pouring water on an energized ballast?

Well, if the water was fresh water and the ballast wasn't too hot - probably nothing exiting in the
short term. (Although I wouldn't really recommend it)

BUT, if the water was salty (Sea Water) -- you could be in for some REAL FIREWORKS!!

Fresh water is not very conductive, while salt water is EXTREMELY conductive to electricity.

************** Safety Notice - DO NOT work on energized electrical devices while wet **************

Ralph
Ralph

Offline mr_big

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:45:02 pm »
Pouring water on an energized ballast?

Well, if the water was fresh water and the ballast wasn't too hot - probably nothing exiting in the
short term. (Although I wouldn't really recommend it)

BUT, if the water was salty (Sea Water) -- you could be in for some REAL FIREWORKS!!

Fresh water is not very conductive, while salt water is EXTREMELY conductive to electricity.

************** Safety Notice - DO NOT work on energized electrical devices while wet **************

Ralph

Salt water worked perfectly the lamp started to get dim and the electrodes glowed a little bit but after that the base glowed orange for a long time and then I heard a loud pop and an odd smell with a lot of smoke opened the base the ballast was completley fried and the capacitor had popped

Offline pSlawinski

• Westinghouse Lamps
    • Metal-Halide.net
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:58:54 pm »
Yikes!!! That's scary stuff playing with something tied directly to the mains like that!!!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 06:38:37 pm »
Salt water worked perfectly the lamp started to get dim and the electrodes glowed a little bit but after that the base glowed orange for a long time and then I heard a loud pop and an odd smell with a lot of smoke opened the base the ballast was completley fried and the capacitor had popped

...and the point of this is ??

Now would be a good time reiterate Ralph's warning:

************** Safety Notice - DO NOT work on energized electrical devices while wet **************[/b][/color]

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 05:33:17 pm »
I second that.  Playing with mains voltage elecricity is a very effective way of getting yourself either injured or killed.  Don't do it.

Aside from that, I thought the purpose of this place was to preserve lamps, not destroy them...

Offline Hemingray

• Lightbulb Junkie
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 02:11:14 am »
even I have to ask. what IS the point of this?

Offline pSlawinski

• Westinghouse Lamps
    • Metal-Halide.net
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 03:19:41 am »
Do yourself and all of us a favor by not trying this again.  The potential for fire, shock, or explosion is too great.  And the smell you mention was probably all the poisonous gasses coming off that PCB!!!  :-o

Offline mr_big

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 01:32:04 pm »
They haven't used PCB's in them since the 70's I doubt that is what it was I also was protected by wearing rubber gloves, rubber soled shoes and I threw it on the lamp from a distance

Offline pSlawinski

• Westinghouse Lamps
    • Metal-Halide.net
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 01:55:01 pm »
PCB = Printed Circuit Board, and yes when some of the components burn they release hazardous fumes.  What was the point of this again?

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 11:41:26 am »
What was the point of this again?

Indeed. :o

I remember when I was *much* younger, putting a Philips SL in the bottom of our chest freezer to see what happens to fluorescent lamps when they got cold (it lit *very* dimly with an odd salmon pink colour, then warmed up to normal after a few minutes) but would never dream of wetting one on purpose. I only dared experiment with that SL lamp as it didn`t contain sensitive electronics that could fail in potentially dangerous fashion (frozen electrolytic caps probably don`t behave themselves when powered), only a simple iron ballast and glowbottle starter. Incidentlaly that lamp lived on for several years until it rolled off a bench to its untimely death...d`oh!

Do yourself and all of us a favor by not trying this again.  The potential for fire, shock, or explosion is too great.

I second that. And also this:

Aside from that, I thought the purpose of this place was to preserve lamps, not destroy them...

So take care of your lamps. And each other.

;)