Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: ID Help Please  (Read 7446 times)

Offline tommythetech

• New Member!
ID Help Please
« on: February 14, 2021, 06:48:44 pm »
Greetings everyone I am new here and need some help identifying this bulb please.

Offline adam2

Re: ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:16:27 pm »
Looks to me like an early type of valve/vacuum tube and not a lamp.
The screw terminals suggest use an a workshop or lab for teaching, rather than permanent use in a piece of equipment.
Only three connections suggests a directly heated diode, two connections for the filament and one for the anode.

Might be valuable since mounting as shown is rare.

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 02:31:19 pm »
That looks like a General Electric NE34 neon glow lamp. Usually found with an E26 screw base that also houses an integrated resistance for use at 120 volts so it can be powered directly from standard US line voltages. Used anywhere a low power but long lived light source is desirable. Industrial indicator lights, nightlighting, that sort of thing.

In this case the bespoke mounting assembly suggests that one has been adapted for scientific or experimental uses, but for what specifically is a mystery. I can`t tell if the resistance is still present within that assembly at the bottom or not, but if it is, perhaps the three terminals allow for connection with or without it in circuit depending on application.

Offline adam2

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 03:28:36 pm »
Agree, that sounds more likely than my initial supposition.

Offline emilyakbb

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 04:52:06 pm »
That looks like a General Electric NE34 neon glow lamp. Usually found with an E26 screw base that also houses an integrated resistance for use at 120 volts so it can be powered directly from standard US line voltages. Used anywhere a low power but long lived light source is desirable. Industrial indicator lights, nightlighting, that sort of thing.

In this case the bespoke mounting assembly suggests that one has been adapted for scientific or experimental uses, but for what specifically is a mystery. I can`t tell if the resistance is still present within that assembly at the bottom or not, but if it is, perhaps the three terminals allow for connection with or without it in circuit depending on application.

I also agree with this idea.