Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Shed light on bulb  (Read 10516 times)

Offline Melody

• New Member!
Shed light on bulb
« on: March 14, 2004, 09:21:00 pm »
I have recently found a bulb and would like some help in identifying its history and origin.  The bulb is 4 1/2" long and 2 1/3" at the widest and 1 1/4" at the base.  The metal base is missing.  It has a longer filament hanging unit than any of the examples I've seen in the galleries.  It extends to within a 1/2" of the top of the bulb.

It has five 2" long filament loops.  The glass is transparent, although the inside APPEARS to have a cracked/shattered finish.  The bulb is intact.

The top of the bulb is smooth (it has no "nipple").  Also, where the metal base is missing, it looks like blown glass.

We are rather "dim" when it comes to antique bulbs.  Please illuminate us.

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
Shed light on bulb
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 06:34:00 pm »
Welcome to the Forum!

Could you please post a picture of that lamp?
It would be very useful to know more about your bulb if we could see it to allow us identify it.

Best regards,
M. Gonz?lez.
 http://mis-bombillas.webcindario.com

Offline Melody

• New Member!
Shed light on bulb
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 11:40:00 pm »
Hello Monico, et al...

Thank you for your reply.  I have take a few pictures of the lamp with a digital camera.  However, I am having trouble in posting the photos.  Perhaps someone can tell me how to do this.  Or, I could e-mail these to you.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Melody

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Shed light on bulb
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 10:11:00 pm »
Picture posted on Melody's behalf:

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline Yoshi

Shed light on bulb
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 03:05:00 am »
That's a tipless cage filament mazda lightbulb from 1922-1925, but due to its condition it is worth no more than the coin next to it.

-Yoshi

How do I add custom avatars? The feature doesn't seem to be working

Offline Melody

• New Member!
Shed light on bulb
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 10:25:00 am »
Yoshi,

Thank you for your observation.  I appreciate your response.

-M

Offline Melody

• New Member!
Shed light on bulb
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 08:06:00 pm »
Dear antique bulb collecting people,

It is a real shame that our grandmother won't be able to have her operation now that we have learned that our bulb is practically worthless.  We did enjoy learning that our lightbulb was made by a Japanese car company!  My sister had a Miata that was pretty sweet.  It is pretty obvious that it is a "tipless" bulb, seeing that it is all smooth and all.

We weren't really interested in the value of the bulb, Yoshi, but rather when and where it was manufactured, and by whom, if possible.  You see, it was not disappointing to us, your comparison with the penny, because we found this bulb in a pile of sticks next to the Appomattox River.  It was only curiosity that led us to this strange and foreign website world.  If anyone would like to give us further information on our bulb that would be great, because we want to have a bulb party and tell all of our friends about this bulb collecting lifestyle.  But get this...at our party, we're going to use CANDLES!

Best,
Melody

Offline Jessica Hatcher

• New Member!
Shed light on bulb
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 10:49:00 pm »
Dear Melody,
I am by no stretch of the imagination, a collector. However, in the last several weeks I have learned a few things about researching bulbs, particularly mazda lamps. Please e-mail me.
Jessica

Offline Yoshi

Shed light on bulb
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 03:21:00 am »

Dear Melody,

Your lightbulb was not made by the car company Mazda. In the past, GE had a trademark that was also called MAZDA. It has nothing to do with japanese cars. More info about the Mazda trademark below, taken from page 100 of the book "The History of The Incandescent Lamp" by J.W. Howell and Henry Schroeder. PLEASE note that this book was printed in 1926:

The Trade Mark Mazda

The trade mark MAZDA was adopted by the General Electric Company late in 1909, but is now used by more than one manufacturer. It is not the name of a thing but the mark of a research service rendered to the manufacturer by the Research Laboratories of the General Electric Company at Schenectady, New York. It comprises not only the incandescent lamp research work done by these laboratories and the data obtained from the testing and inspection work done throughout the company, costing over a million dollars a year, but also, the accumulation of scientific and practical data from laboratories, factories, etc., all over the world. The results are transmitted to the manufacturers entitled to this service, with such aid and information as will assist them to improve the quality of their lamps.
A MAZDA lamp is, therefore, the product of the latest and best method of incandescent lamp making. The filaments of all MAZDA lamps are at present made of tungsten, but when any material more suitable for the purpose is discovered or developed, it will be used.
Persian mythology gives to their ancient god of light the name Ahura Mazda, and to the Persians, light was knowledge. MAZDA service therefore, very fittingly stands for the accumulation and transmission to lamp manufacturers of the knowledge which will enable them to produce the best light.

-Yoshi

How do I add custom avatars? The feature doesn't seem to be working

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Shed light on bulb
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 06:53:00 am »