Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Need use data for an 1145 bulb  (Read 10996 times)

Offline dkulpa

• New Member!
Need use data for an 1145 bulb
« on: September 04, 2002, 09:51:00 pm »
I recently found several NOS  National # 1145 single center contact bayonet base bulbs. The bulbs are tited and on the base is printed National + Mazda, 18-24 volts, 27 cp. I would like to know where they were used; auto, rail, farm ???

Offline bshipinski

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 11:35:00 pm »
I don't see it listed or used any time in the last 20 years.  Might try contacting GE about it, they might be able to search down it's use and specs from the past.

It's a 15mm wide lamp base right?  (BA15s)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 09:39:00 pm »
The "1145" number sounds auto related but the voltage seems off.  Since the bulbs are tipped it's a pretty safe assumption that they are pre-1920.  Based on what others have told me, GE probably won't be able to help.  If I run across this number in old literature I will post the findings here.  In the meantime, maybe someone else out here may have an answer?

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline Hemingray

• Lightbulb Junkie
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 01:24:00 am »
the closest I can come to on an 1145 is the more common 1156, which is a 12V rear tail bulb. compare the 1145 to the 1156 and see if the size/shape matches?

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2002, 07:17:00 pm »
Slightly off-topic, but I have an old GE 1960 miniature lamp catalogue here which I checked out, and its not listed there either.

18-24V does sound strange for automotive use, but in the UK the majority of early auto bulbs I have come across tend to be marked as suitable for 10-14V, possibly implying that voltage consistency at the lamp terminals wasn't all that good on early cars.

Perhaps 1145 was a type for old large buses and trucks or other 24V vehicles and it was known that for the length of wiring involved to the back of such a vehicle, you'd never get more than the 24V there.  So maybe the lamps were marked with the typical voltage that might be experienced in such applications.  Even today it is customary to mark automotive lamps with the voltage the car owner would expect to see, rather than what is actually delivered (certianly in Europe anyway).  Halogen Headlamp bulbs here are all universally marked as being 12V, even though they are technically actually designed for 13.2V operation.

Anyway I no longer require this old GE catalogue and it attracted no interest when I put it up on Ebay last year, so if anyone on this forum can find a good home for it let me know!

James.

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2002, 03:08:00 pm »
You know there is always a home for unwanted lighting related items here    

------------------
visit my world of electrical things that glow!

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2002, 03:10:00 pm »
I just checked with a miniature lamp data resource I know of - http://www.mts.net/~william5/library/minilamp.htm - and guess what lamp is not listed?

That`s right. No 1145 on that list.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited October 02, 2002).]

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2002, 03:02:00 pm »
Bill Scorah answered this question directly, and has said I can post the information here too for everyone else`s information.....

Those are for the spotlamp when
fitted on a 1915 through early 1926 Model T Ford without the electrical self
starter and generator. The headlamps were powered off the flywheel magneto and when at speed could be putting out as much as 28 volts. Generally at most driving
speeds in those days it was more like 18-24 volts. The headlamps used two 9 volt
bulbs in series. A spotlight would have to use a higher voltage bulb to keep from
burning out so 18-24 volt bulbs were sold for this application. The Model T's of
1919 thru 1927 with a starter used regular 6-8 volt bulbs.Since the bulbs are tipped
they  would be prior to 1924 or so.

Thanks Bill  

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited October 09, 2002).]