Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Reproduction bulbs...  (Read 11243 times)

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Reproduction bulbs...
« on: July 19, 2000, 02:48:00 pm »
Hello.
You may have seen the links on this site to reproduction antique bulb suppliers.
 http://www.bulbcollector.com/links/pages/Reproduction_Bulbs/  
I recently bought some from Grove Enterprises, as shown in the picture below. I thought I`d post this in case anyone wants to get some but aren`t sure what they`re like.

These look very different to the picture illustrated on Grove`s site. There is no tip, and their shape is the same as a normal household lamp. They are 120v/30w, std.based.
The 3 small pics show the filament shapes in the 3 bulbs I got, each is slightly different. Overall, the quality of these is not too good, but for $3, that`s not too bad.
As far as I`m aware, these bulbs are now "While Stocks Last Only" and I don`t know how long it`ll be before they`re all sold out.
I havn`t been able to buy any from the other companies on the links page, as I live in Britain and the shipping costs are too high, so if anyone else has bought some, please let us all know what they`re like.

Hope this is of some use?

-chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited July 19, 2000).]

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2000, 06:53:00 pm »
Wow, the shape isn't what I expected but you can't argue with the price I guess. What does the bulb say on the top of it? I wonder if these are Kyp-Go bulbs???

Doesn't one of the major lamp manufactures in Britain make a new reproduction carbon (and tungsten) bulb? I thought I heard that once.....

If you get any other new "old" bulbs be sure to post more pictures - would be kinda cool to compare them!

------------------
-Tim

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2000, 04:59:00 pm »
Yes, Tim, you`re right. I wondered what it said at first cos the printing is smudged, but James.H said they were Kyp-Go when he saw them. Do they make any others I wonder?
Apparently there`s a British company that makes really accurate repros(the same ones as stocked by AAMSCO), I think called Victory lighting? James will know more about this company, cos he told me he designed one of their bulbs! If I manage to get hold of any, then I`ll certainly post the pics.

-chris

Offline Scott

Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2000, 03:56:00 pm »
I've ordered two reproduction bulbs thru Rejuvenation Lighting and Fixture, one of which is made in England-tho' I don't know who manufactured it. It has a standard Edison base, and is meant for 240V,and has a tungsten filament in a squirrel cage arrangement.It has the tip,as well. The other is a 120V carbon filament,this one is Americam made. Both are 60W,and cost about 10 bucks each, but have a 2 year guarantee. They look good, and the quality seems high. Scott

Offline Zebulon

• New Member!
Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2001, 11:03:00 pm »
Recently I purchased some reproduction "1910" type cage-filament tungsten "Mazda" lamps from Aamsco, one of the sources listed in Mr. Millinship's posting above.  As far as thier physical appearance is concerned, they are perfect replicas, with the S tipped case, two-level, 10-arm filament support, and long zig-zag filament.
But they are not very good functionally.  Although specified by Aamsco as 120 volt, 30 watt, they burn very dimly at 120 v.  They must almost certainly be the British made 240 volt replicas mentioned in Scott's posting.  When I burned them at 240 volts, they worked pefectly, just like the old 60 watt Mazdas I remember from my youth.
So be warned; if you buy these they will make only a feeble orange glow, like an 8 cp carbon bulb, unless you rewire for 240 v.
When I complained, Aamsco offered to replace them with thier "1919" model.  These have an authentic S tipped envelope, but a modern looking Steinmetz/Tesla short zig-zag filament and high density inert gas fill, for proper brightness and long life.  But not very authentic looking for my ca. 1914 organ room.
Should I rewire the room for 240 v, or forget the whole thing?

------------------
Richard Z. Vance
Richard Z. Vance

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2001, 04:53:00 am »
Richard,

Aamsco decided to market the 240/60 British squirrel cage lamp in USA because the feeble glow it produces on 120V is closer to that of a carbon lamp, which the USA market has been used to as a replica lamp for many years.

When the true 120/30 lamp was first marketed in USA many people put it in their fittings to replace, say, a 16CP carbon and found that the light was far too bright and glaring, and did not create the effect they desired - despite the fact that this is how squirrel cage lamps really did appear!  So it was decided to offer a warmer low-power squirrel cage lamp, basically just by under running the 240V version.  An added marketing advantage was that these under-run lamps practically last for ever, and are attractive to users who keep buying the carbon lamps which really do have a very short life.

The manufacturer, Victory Lighting in London, does indeed make a true 120V squirrel cage lamp as well, having five filament supports at the top.  This will function correctly on the 120V supply at full intensity.  Try contacting Aamsco and see if they have any of the genuine 120V lamps available or if they can order them in for you.  If not, point your browser to http://www.victory-victory.btinternet.co.uk/HOME.htm  and ask if they might consider selling direct to you.

Aamsco's "1919" lamp will function at full power however the filament in that lamp is considerably shorter.

Best regards,

James.

Offline Zebulon

• New Member!
Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2001, 07:59:00 pm »
Thanks to James, I used the URL for Victory Lighting in the UK, and spoke to Mr. Alan Penman there, to find how to get proper 120 V cage filament reproduction lamps.  He reiterated that Aamsco is thier agent in the USA.

Then I called Mr. Bob Rosenzweig of Aamsco, and here is the scoop.  They are currently out of stock, for 120 V "Mazdas", but have placed an order for 10,000 pieces of a 120 V, 40 W design.  Victory will complete this special order, and have it shipped and ready to sell in the USA by about February 15.  Needless to say, such specialty lamps are made in batches to order, and are not a stock item for Victory.

Mr. Rosenweig said that Victory is considering leaving the reproduction lamp business.  Aamsco is exploring the possibility of obtaining Victory's technology and tooling, and reestablihing the production of both carbon and tungsten lamps, preferrably in the USA.

Meanwhile, there are lots of the 240/60 "Mazdas" left in stock, for those who want a subdued, but long lasting light.  And after Feb. 15, there will be plenty of the 120/40 lamps available for those who want them for practical, bright illumination.

I will keep this forum informed about the 120/40 bulbs, when I get mine next year.

-----------------
Richard Z. Vance

[This message has been edited by Zebulon (edited December 06, 2001).]
Richard Z. Vance

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2001, 08:47:00 am »
Thanks Richard for sharing the information you have learned regarding these products.

This link submission just came in to me, I'm not promoting this company but thought it may be of interest to this discussion:
 http://www.classicaccents.net/bulbs.html

The name of the company is called Classic Accents (http://www.classicaccents.net)

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline Zebulon

• New Member!
Reproduction bulbs...
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2002, 12:51:00 pm »
To follow up on my posting of December 6, I just received the true 120 V, 40 W cage filament reproduction lamps from Aamsco.

They are exactly as advertised; bright enough to light a room properly, but with the proper appearance suitable for a ca. 1914 room decor.

Thanks again to James and Tim for all the help I have gotten from the Antique Light Bulb Collector's Forum.

------------------
Richard Z. Vance
Richard Z. Vance