Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: bulbs that purify air?!  (Read 9226 times)

Offline mcbailee

• New Member!
bulbs that purify air?!
« on: July 15, 2005, 03:39:23 pm »
I am a severe allergy sufferer, and I have been searching for new ways to purify the air in my home.  I read an article about a product called ozonelite, it is known to rid your home of odors.  Has anyone heard of this before?  If so, do you think it is a wise investment??

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: bulbs that purify air?!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 07:08:23 pm »
Welcome to the bulb forum.  Here is a link providing some technical details regarding how these bulbs work:

http://members.misty.com/don/uvbulb.html

Look under the "Apparently Incandescent Ozone Lamps" heading.

Maybe someone else here has some experience to share using such bulbs.  Anyone?

Offline cjlightly

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 03:52:28 pm »
Hey all, I have pretty bad allergies too and the dander from my daughters cat was driving me crazy. My neighbor told me about O*ZONELite bulbs and I've been using them for about 6 months now. I switched out about half of my normal bulbs with those. I think they are great, my allergy problems have been seriously reduced and now I can just take 1 pill a day and I'm fine. Also, they are energy-efficient, so my electric bills have gone down. They are great - I reccomend them to everyone- even if they don't have allergies. The site where you can buy them is ozonelite.com

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 06:57:24 pm »
Hmm, I think in this application ozone's gonna cause more trouble than it solves...

More likely what your bulbs are doing is eliminating odours.  Nothing to reduce any airbourne particulates though.

How most of these "energy efficient" odour removing bulbs work is through a catalytic reaction on the surface of the tube - a coating of titanium dioxide as I recall (don't quote me on that chemical, as it's a while since I read the article).  These DO eliminate nasty odours, but I very much doubt they would affect allergies to any great degree.  Your mileage there may vary though - as I've not done a huge amount of research into them.