Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: ID bulb or tube?  (Read 7852 times)

Offline radionutz

• New Member!
    • http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dmign/
ID bulb or tube?
« on: December 11, 2002, 08:35:00 pm »
Hi,
I am new to the group. I am an antique radio collector and in a box of radio "junk" that I got at an auction, I found these 'things' that I can't identify.  I posted on my radio group and no one was sure what they are.  Somebody suggested that they can be some type of bulb and suggested that I try here, so, here goes.
They are glass tube type units with a brass bayonet base.  The inside has what appears to be a ceramic insert with a filament through it.  I cleaned the brass base with 0000 steal wool and can just barely read a couple of things.  It looks like it says 50 or 58V (which could be volts?) and 17W (could be watts?) and a name that looks like Hagar or Halgar? They are almost 3.5" long and .25" in diameter.  Below are a couple of photos (if they work) so if anyone can help tell me what they are, I would be oh so grateful.  The side of the box says TUBES.
THANKS,  DON

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
ID bulb or tube?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 02:32:00 pm »
Hi Don,

Welcome the bulb forums and thanks for sharing your pictures with us.  I can't say that I've seen any bulbs quite like this before.  I'm only taking a wild guess but since you describe them as having a filament inside the white tube then I think we can say that these are not likely to be any type of gas discharge lamp (rule out neon, fluorescent, etc.)  Since the filament is hidden inside the white tube then it doesn't seem likely they were intended for an illumination source.  Given this info, I am inclined to think perhaps they were used as a heating device.  Maybe the filament is provided as a heat source that warms the ceramic (assuming the tubes are made of porcelain/ceramic), in turn then the ceramic tube becomes a sort of radiant heat source.  Does the filament wire appear to be very thin and fine, or is it heavy (thick) and dark looking?  A heavy filament would be a characteristic such a heat device.

Another completely different idea is perhaps they were meant to be used as a ballast resistor.  What does the resistance measure across the base?  The value that you come up with may provide another important clue to us.

Anyone else have any ideas?

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline radionutz

• New Member!
ID bulb or tube?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 07:40:00 pm »
The filament protrudes a little from the top of what seems to be a porcelin or ceramic cylinder and is relativly thick. Not fine like and incandescent bulb.  It measures about 150 ohms.  THANKS, DON

Offline ALM

ID bulb or tube?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 10:28:00 am »
They look like those things that cool nuclear reactor cores!    Use caution!

Offline radionutz

• New Member!
ID bulb or tube?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 01:49:00 pm »
Good advice, however, they are only 3" long and aquarter inch in diameter.  Hey, who knows?
DON

Offline Chris W. Millinship

ID bulb or tube?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 02:42:00 pm »

Welcome, Don  

I`m with Tim, looking at them I would say heater tubes too. Given the small size and low power rating, "precision" application spring to mind - specifically scientific uses. Possibly as immersion heat sources for warming the contents of beakers, etc. I seem to recall from my chemistry class days, that often chemical reactions need heating in order to work quicker or even take place at all.

Coupled with a simple bit of control gear and a thermostat, they could probably be used to very accurately increase and control the temperature of small containers of liquid.

Interesting.....

------------------
visit my world of electrical things that glow!