Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: LEDs Rule  (Read 12749 times)

Offline LEDsRule

• New Member!
LEDs Rule
« on: September 07, 2003, 10:19:00 am »
Guys...

light bulbs are old news, LEDs are the way of the future.
Their smaller, brighter and use less power, there just all round better.

neway have fun

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
LEDs Rule
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 11:57:00 am »
I think the whole purpose of this forum just went right over the top of your head but regardless, welcome to the Antique Light Bulb Forums  

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline Chris W. Millinship

LEDs Rule
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 01:49:00 pm »
Indeed. I must say I happen to agree. The new OLED (Organic LED) technology looks the most promising. Industry experts predict OLED material could be made bright and efficient enough for general lighting use in just ten years or so.

But, as Tim said, this is the place where those of us who find fascinating the origins of electrical lighting come to share our ideas. Personally I find it all fascinating, both new and old.

You`d probably love to visit the Candlepower Forums - a big flashlight enthusiast group. There`s a lot of folks there doing some rather interesting things with the new high power LEDs, and lots of manufacturers these days making flashlights using LEDs too.
 http://candlepowerforums.com  - tell them the Torch Reviews Site sent you!

------------------
Visit the Bulb Museum!
e-mail: curator(at)bulbmuseum(dot)net.

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
LEDs Rule
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 06:45:00 pm »
I agree,
all or, at least, most of us are mainly interested about basic principles of lighting, and so, we find lots of pleasure when we see a genuine "turn of century" ligth bulb or any clear mercury lamp from fifties or sixties, but despite this, we must be ready for next light source's evolution.
About this issue, I would like to say you some that I have kept on silence over many years.
In 1978, when first comercially available LED's did arrive to Spain, I designed a new-concept lantern or torch. A portable light fitted with a 5x5 LED's array, that could be powered by a simple and economical 4,5v 3R12 battery.
I never made nor patented a such apparatus, because white LED's not have been yet invented at those days, only red, yellow and green units were available then.
At that time I did'n judge the use of coloured light as a suitable choice, and those days LED'S were significantly less efficient that modern ones; so regrettably I did refuse the idea and forgot it.
(I still keep the original draws on it somewere).
Probably If I were patented a so configuration, perhaps today I would be receiving lots of money from torch manufacturers, hi!
But today it's too late.

Best regards,
M. Gonz?lez.
 http://mis-bombillas.webcindario.com

[This message has been edited by M?nico Gonz?lez (edited September 07, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by M?nico Gonz?lez (edited September 07, 2003).]

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
LEDs Rule
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 07:36:00 pm »
Ok, I can?t help but wonder this.  Fast forward to the year 2078.  Do you envision anyone collecting ?antique LEDs???  Maybe it is hard to imagine right now but with the technological progress of light emitting diodes they could make interesting odd little collectibles, or not.  Any thoughts?

LED Museum, where are you!?

[This message has been edited by tim (edited September 07, 2003).]

LEDs Rule
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 06:41:00 pm »
Do you envision anyone collecting ?antique LEDs???

Yep. You know the one guy who already does ( http://ledmuseum.org  ). And I have a light-bulb shaped jar of vintage LEDs dating back to the early 80s or before, though I wouldn`t say it`s a serious collection yet. It might be in the future though. Like I said, I find it all fascinating.

It`s very possible that the earliest of LEDs in a hundred years time will fetch the same sort of prices that the earliest of incandescent bulbs do today, given their scarcity and the fact that they are a significant milestone in the development of electrical lighting.

I can only wonder what the currently-quite-common 1910s Mazda tungsten cage lamps will be worth by then......

------------------
Visit the Bulb Museum!
e-mail: curator(at)bulbmuseum(dot)net.

LEDs Rule
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 06:43:00 pm »
Sorry, my post up there wasn`t meant to be totally purple. Forgot to close a tag! But it`s kind of groovy so I`ll leave it as-is. The Internet needs more colour after all....

Offline Ray Ladegast

LEDs Rule
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 09:02:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,
 Chris you wondered what a Mazda tungstan cage lamp will be worthin the next 100 years.
We should consider what some of our modern bulbs will be worth then.
A lot manufactures have stoped producing many bulbs we have considered common. Several examples are, 7 1/2 watt S-11 colored bulbs, 10 & 11 watt S-14 Ceramic & tinted colored sign lamps, 25 watt A-19 ceramic colored lamps, 75 watt R-30 flood & spot lamps(Government energy saving regulation), series & groupe replacement street lamps and even the most common Inside frosted bulb.
 I have been trying to collect as many of these bulbs as possable. I know they are not worth much now but I would hate to see them lost forever. I think of my collection as a zoo for endangered light bulbs. Most of all I injoy looking at them.
 So I think with the fast evelution of lighting (flourescent & LED's) most incandesent bulb will be tomarows antiques.

Talk to you later.

Offline Stan

LEDs Rule
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 06:35:00 am »
Hi, people. I am very glad for whichever progress. But I think, that the time of LED as general lighting is far future. Moreover, the technology of advanced metal halide or HPS lamps makes "spin off" to other parts of glass-vacuum technology. Remember - was invented transistors, IC etc., newertheless still in this time are used valves for any sound amplifiers! In Praha (Czech capital) was restored a production of electronic valves to amplifiers!
Best regards, Stan
Stan

Offline Hemingray

• Lightbulb Junkie
LEDs Rule
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 01:54:00 am »
A lot manufactures have stoped producing many bulbs we have considered common. Several examples are, 7 1/2 watt S-11 colored bulbs, 10 & 11 watt S-14 Ceramic & tinted colored sign lamps, 25 watt A-19 ceramic colored lamps,

nah them little 25w colored bulbs are still bein made

:P

Offline Stan

LEDs Rule
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2003, 04:47:00 am »
Yes, you have a right with LED collection. I collected it, together with laser tubes, many years ago. My first LED was coming from Ferranti, in time of technical confidence. But I collect it without pleasure, it I must confess. It is too small and too simply (it looks simply). By the way - if I was in soldier service, I constructed working He/Ne laser, it was in year 1967, I polished and silvered the mirrors self, and vacuum works made to me in neon reclam firm.
Stan
Stan