Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Edison lamp  (Read 7510 times)

Offline sec

• New Member!
Edison lamp
« on: June 30, 2006, 11:50:46 am »
I just acquired a ruby glass, carbon filament lamp with the normal black insulator base. It has no marks on the bulb but there is an oval sticker printed: "EDISON" with the watts (64) and volts (125) written in ink. I have searched for a similar marked example to date it but no luck. Does anyone know when this sticker was used? I have attached some photographs. It is a very dark red and was in use on a front porch. Thanks for your help.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: Edison lamp
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 10:08:52 am »
Hi sec, welcome to the forum.? Thanks for sharing the pictures - nice old bulb you have there.? As far as I know, GE/Edison used oval labels from around 1901 to about 1905.? The label on your bulb looks a little different than what I have normally seen.? The more common oval Edison label can be viewed on this particular bulb shown at the link below:

Click Here

As you will notice, both labels are oval in shape but differ slightly.? I would guess the age to be the same though.? I hope this helps a bit!

Offline sec

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 11:03:47 am »
Tim, thanks for the information. I guessed it dated about 1901 but just wanted to get confirmation on that. Why do you think the label has watts instead of candlepower? Isn't that unusual for the date?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 05:10:14 pm »
The term "watts" was printed on the labels of American made light bulbs beginning around 1910.  Perhaps this is a better clue to your bulb's exact age as opposed to the shape of the label.  Sorry I can't narrow the date further - perhaps someone else reading this can provide a more specific time frame.