Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Electric Light History  (Read 8039 times)

Offline debook

• 1930's Neon Rabbit by Crescent Moon (UK)
    • debook.com
Electric Light History
« on: October 31, 2003, 07:14:00 am »
I have published a book I wrote in the 80's on the history of electric light. It contains information not previously published in English. However, it is not very technical, see notes on the front page.

Website is www.debook.com

I would enjoy receiving feedback about my text, either here or via email. I do not claim to have got everything right and will be happy to make corrections or add remarks about contentious points.

It is entirely free but I would ask that my copyright is respected.

Frank Andrews

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Electric Light History
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 07:53:00 pm »
debook,

Welcome to the bulb forums, good to have you aboard!  I've been watching your auctions and noticed a link the other day to your bulb information site.  I haven't had time enough to fully take it in but I look forward to it this weekend.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline debook

• debook.com
Electric Light History
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 04:13:00 am »
Hi Tim,

My text is all up, although the form needs a bit of work. I had already typeset it in a DTP so it was straight forward to convert it to HTML.

Now I have to try and make it more web friendly with some cross linking. The Inventors list needs some work and in my surfing have seen many more names to add to it. Once the auctions are completed I will put the rest of the bulbs on site and try and get some sort of integration with the text. I had a list of images that were needed and most of these are available on the web now so I may just point to other sites where points have been well illustrated.

Over the past few days I have been discovering the on-line lighting world and learning more myself. I am impressed with what I have been seeing and particularly your site. At the time I was working on my text there were very few reachable collectors so it was mostly done in isolation.

Regards

Frank
Frank Andrews

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
Electric Light History
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 03:00:00 pm »
Hi Debook!

Welcome to our "bulb lovers Family".
I've visited your web. It looks very interesting!
Glad to see such odd lamps; good quality pictures too.
Go ahead with your amazing book's Project.
I will put a link to your site at my links page.

Best regards,
M. Gonz?lez.
 http://mis-bombillas.webcindario.com

Offline debook

• debook.com
Electric Light History
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 03:45:00 pm »
Hi M?nico,

I have had a quick look at your site, interesting to see a Spanish perspective. I did not get any Spanish material for the book but I assume that as with most other countries there were some early days inventors?

Started to hunt out some of the material I had for illustrating the book and discovered some nice early posters from German bulb manufacturer VVG. 7 posters with all the bulbs shown full size. I have put small images of the posters up and the first few bulbs. Some of the more unusual bulbs are nothing less than astonishing.

The scans of the poster were 78MB each! Split out about twenty bulbs to 2Mb a piece and then my disk filled and everything collapsed. Most of Sunday was spent trying to get everything working again - but it took till Monday. It will take weeks to process all the images for the site.

Frank
Frank Andrews