Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Matchless Star Tree Topper Re-bulbing Service  (Read 5900 times)

Offline zozman

Matchless Star Tree Topper Re-bulbing Service
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:58:01 am »
Arguably, the rarest Christmas light-up ornament is the Matchless Star Tree Topper. Made by the Matchless Company Chicago, Illinois from 1939-1941, it was a miniature C-6 base series lamp illuminated star to complement the individual single and double row Matchless (Wonder Star) lights on Christmas trees. The star (Series 300) was made from Czech cut crystal which was imported to the United States for assembly. Germany occupation of the Baltics leading up to WWII stopped all imports of the crystal.

History has it only 50 of these ornaments are known to exist. I own several over the years and have never had a bulb burn out. The key is to reduce wattage and run a dimmer when starting the lamp and gradually increase it until 80% electrical draw is established. The biggest detriment to an incandescent lamp is the initial turning on electrical draw. What kills them or reduces their longevity is constant on-off cycles. So. I wondered, if my star burned out, how would I re-light it?

I have the answer. I made a replacement bulb with the same characteristics of the original. I took a Matchless Star Tree Topper and de-engineered it.

The clear globe bulb itself sits atop a 1-1/4" bakelite stand with a brass C-6 base glued to the bottom. The bulb has leads soldered to the brass base.

I was able to manufacture the complete bulb harness which fit into the Bakelite stand.

Below are pictures of the tree topper and the replacement bulb.

Randy Pozzi

zozman50@hotmail.com

zoz 01/09/21