Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Crochet Bulb  (Read 11274 times)

Offline dean

Crochet Bulb
« on: May 31, 2001, 09:34:00 am »
Hello
I recently purchased an antique light bulb with an unusual crochet piece that covers the bulb completely. Any ideas why some old lamps have been covered in a crochet housing? Were they used as decorations at some point? Tim has a bulb on this site that has a similar pattern which he describes as the remnants of a hot air balloon. Someone please explain where a hot air balloon fits into the life of a light bulb. Thanks, Dean

[This message has been edited by dean (edited May 31, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by dean (edited May 31, 2001).]
dean

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Crochet Bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2001, 10:33:00 am »
I`ve seen those too. I think it was to do with the fact that millions of years ago (OK maybe 100) when those bulbs were still made, burnt out ones were considered junk. And later on a few years, GEM carbon or the much more efficient tungsten ones replaced the early carbons and so those old ones were just inefficient, old, rubbish.

So, maybe someone practicing their crochet perhaps, found an old carbon bulb and, being sort of baloon shape, chose it to knit a hot air baloon round.
I`ve also seen one or 2 with painted scenes on. They are attractive looking things, those old bulbs, so maybe some more artistic people thought that too at the time, and wanted to put these old obsolete lamps to better use.

Now 100 years on and those Edison New Types, etc, are very valuable- but I wonder how much the crochetted covering affects the value? Up or down? Given the choice I`d go for an un-crochetted bulb.
To be honest if the covering was a bit tatty I would be inclined to remove it- and allow the bulb inside to be freed and displayed with your others. Just my thoughts though.

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited May 31, 2001).]

Offline Bob Masters

Crochet Bulb
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2001, 12:47:00 pm »
Distinguished fellow collectors,

First off, I've only seen bulbs like that, and never owned one (yet).
The crocheting has no adverse effect on the true value of the bulb. That is not possible.
The bulb is still everything that it would be without the stitching, except it does have a covering. MY honest opinion is that it adds to the value because it has also recieved the attention of a previous person who saw fit to create their handiwork over it. I also might be so bold to add that I don't think many bulb collectors would be offended If the cover were carefully removed
to display the bulb, but in such a way as to allow displaying the covering beside it. I would only remove the covering if it could be done with minimal damage to the crocheting unless the covering is adversely damaged or stained. In that case, I'd pitch the covering in a minute. I hope to find a bulb like that someday that I can acquire.
I think it's a bit humorous :-)

But, then again........what do I know ? I'm just a nutty old bulb collector..........

anteekfreek@msn.com
-Bob-

Offline Bob Masters

Crochet Bulb
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2001, 12:36:00 pm »
Hey Dean,

Could you post a picture of your "crochet" bulb ?
-Bob-

Offline dean

Crochet Bulb
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2001, 09:32:00 am »
I actually removed the crochet and found a nice Westinghouse- base horseshoe filament lamp inside. I completely destroyed the crochet (unintentionally) and ended up throwing it away. Too bad, but the lamp I uncovered is even more interesting. Thanks, Dean
dean

Offline Bob Masters

Crochet Bulb
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2001, 10:39:00 am »
Awesome bulb hiding under that !
Way to go !

Offline Scott

Crochet Bulb
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2001, 05:05:00 pm »
Sounds sorta like someone in the past tried a bit of "found art"-that is, decorating a piece of what otherwise would be junk.In elementary school, we made light bulb "people" from burned out bulbs,pipe cleaners, those plastic rolling eyes you find at craft stores, popsicle sticks,paint and so on.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Crochet Bulb
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2001, 05:40:00 pm »
Most of these balloon bulbs I've seen have been made from early light bulbs - 1880s-1890s era. The cost of light bulbs in the early days weren't cheap and the thought of throwing them away when they expired probably seemed like a waste to some people. Although most I've seen have been made from bulbs with open filaments I have seen a couple made from good working bulbs which shoots my theory, but........Some were used as a canvas for finely detailed paintings, crocheted hot air balloons, and I've even seen some larger bulbs with model ships assembled inside of them. Personally if I found such a bulb I would keep it in this altered state unless the crotchet work is turning to dust, ripped, or just looks really bad. When hunting for bulbs as a little kid I came across a few hot air balloon bulbs that I now wish I would have kept intact - not knowing any better I instantly tore that "junk" off from the bulb and now I regret it!

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Crochet Bulb
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2001, 05:48:00 pm »
One more side note,

One of the coolest hot air balloon bulbs I've seen was from a person who emailed me a few years ago who had what looked like a giant G-64 tungsten filament Mazda bulb that someone had crocheted into an intricately detailed hot air balloon. This thing was huge and it's one of the largest examples of I've seen. I wish I had kept that picture  

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com