Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: neon lamp manufactured in USA  (Read 6568 times)

Offline migette

neon lamp manufactured in USA
« on: October 19, 2000, 05:23:00 pm »
Hi  Everyone, thanks to all of you who gave suggestions of how to send lamps through the post.I forgot to put my email address so will put that at the end of this message. Please excuse me if I ramble on too much, perhaps Tim will be able to shorten anything that is of no importance. Well he goes. In 1950 or there abouts at the age of 11 or 12 I visited relations in Nutley New Jersey and still being very young was interested in anything electrical and compared our British electrics with that of America and noticed many differences, including voltage and types of sockets (outlets). I was given several bits and bobs. One of these was a neon lamp which I lost, I still got many of the other things but would very much like to find anyone who can identify this or even better have one that is surplus in their collections to exchange. Here is a discription from memory. Size two and half inches long approx. was made to fit into a standard 2-prong o/l. The body was torpedo shaped circular about the size of an American plug made of clear or tranlucent plastic. The actual bulb was no more then a wire ended neon  like the ones found in luminous light switches, in series with a limiting resistor, and slid within the plastic body, the risistor placed neatly at the base or rather where the prongs emerge. Covering this up was a peice of flat material which fitted over the two pins and covered up the tube and resistor,on this was printed or engraved, cant remember what it said apart from 110v and that it was UL listed. Can anyone help I had this lamp for a few months only and have never been able to find anything about it or find anybody who knew it, even in the US.Does this group encourage visits from members? I would like to welcome anyone who maybe in the area visiting England or from nearer afeild.The collection is being sorted out and have some duplicates plus lots of christmas lights that have been aquired over the years, mainly english or european my only two sets of US lamps being obtained at an American Boot Sale oops sorry Swap Meet, at Nutley NJ when I visited a couple of years ago, these are along my windows outside and are lit at xmas time using a tranformer, they are not wired in series like the GB ones but operate 110v lamps, the originals being kept in the collection and subsituted with Korean bulbs bought in a NY store. I will end now to let someone else get a look in, my Email is peterbentfls@btinternet.com Please excuse if I dont get back right away as I am often very busy,sorry if I have left anyone out, I do know Ray hickman but have lost his phone number does anyone know if he is on line he could offer a lot to this group so could  his friend Ray Tie I think thats his name and also Ruban and Mr Dolbey-jones. Tim, still looking out those mags 'Glow light' collector have not found them yet, will do.All the best to you all hope to come back soon Peter from Wallington England.
k
Peter Bent
London
U.K

Offline Scott

neon lamp manufactured in USA
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2000, 08:54:00 pm »

Sounds like a basic sort of neon nightlight-or(I doubt this)one of the neon stroboscopes used to adjust the speed of turntables. I'd bet the nightlight. GE still makes something like that called "guidelights",and they're cheap.Oh. Boot sales are called flea markets here. I'd be willing to trade US electrical parts for British parts-I've done this a few times. I have a British bulb and socket out in my garage doing nightlight duty. At half-voltage,it oughta last a looong time. It's been out there 6 years,at 12 hours a day(it's on a timer.). I need a Britsh extension cord...and couple extra bulbs.