Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: The Quality Of A Collection  (Read 6853 times)

Offline dean

The Quality Of A Collection
« on: October 03, 2001, 09:56:00 am »
I believe there is a misconception in all fields of collecting that the quality of a collection is measured by the quantity of 'rare' acquisitions. Does the rarity of a collection automatically register that collection to be significant? I argue not. In fact, some of the most interesting and rewarding collections are those that may contain few, if any rare, items.

Actually, a collection need not be significant at all. Significance is a product of the viewer's response. Collecting is an active process, the final product- the display of the hunt, and the resulting 'Trophies', carry little psychological  import to the viewer. The viewer of a collection is more interested in the process of that collection, in it's life as a continuing process as opposed to it's mummification of relics. A collection can become sterile in it's uniformity, predictability, and yes, rarity.

In conclusion, a collector need not hunt for rare acquisitions, if those examples add nothing of significance to their own course of gathering. I propose to those who may be starting, or continuing with their own collection to stay on course. A collection of the commonplace can be very rare indeed.

Dean
dean

Offline Bob Masters

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2001, 10:46:00 am »
I agree wholeheartedly !
Too many "rare" items that many of us KNOW we could never afford, tends to alienate an average kinda collector who lacks the considerable financial resources necessary to obtain the rarest-of-the-rare.

I am more impressed with seeing a collection that I know the collector had to work hard, and sacrifice much (in some cases)in order to obtain.THAT shows a true collectors spirit. If one can obtain the absolutely rarest items with little more effort than writing a check from vast funds, then very little has been actually accomplished.
Effort and self-sacrifice adds "character" to a collection.

-Bob-

Offline oren

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2001, 11:39:00 pm »
The fun is in the hunt and all of the work of getting there!

As Edison put it:
"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninty-nine percent perspiration."

O

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2001, 06:05:00 pm »
I like collecting the odd ones-even if they're brand new. I like the neon(or other gas) glow lamps,and have a few,most brand new. A collection is a good collection if it suits you.