Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Flame bulbs and exterior lighting  (Read 6206 times)

Offline Ken Goldberg

• New Member!
Flame bulbs and exterior lighting
« on: August 22, 2000, 03:01:00 pm »
A few questions about the use of bulbs in exterior residential lighting:
  What does anyone know about which bulbs were used when in the one or two lighting fixtures typically flanking, say, a front entrance?  I know that the typical, "sculptured" type of flame bulb was already manufactured in the early 1900s - at leasts in shaded version.  I know that the clear version was available in Sears catalogues by 1937, at a maximum of 25 watts. I know that clear flame bulbs were up to 40 watts by 1951, as advertised in a Sears catalog.  I know that amber flame bulbs existed by 1928 - again at at least up to 25 watts.  
  When were flame bulbs, or even clear bulbs, used for exterior lighting fixtures?  Does anyone know if they were used as such around 1926??  It would seem the wattage was not considered enough, but then, perhaps, bulbs greater than 25 watts were already available in these bulbs?  I do know that during the period amber globes were common - creating the same general lighting effect.  So I'm really asking about clear-globed fixtures of the period.  
  Does anyone have access to any lighting catalogs or architectural photos of the 1926 period showing a flame bulb in a "clear" fixture?  It's tough to find such a photo with such detail in general house or building photos, but a lighting catalog may show this.  I have definitely seen standard shaded bulbs shown around 1926 in such fixtures but need to know if someone has seen examples of the flamebulb used as such, instead of the usual use at the time of for interior chandelier-type fixtures (hence the low wattage so common). Thanks!