Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: New member with a bulb question  (Read 9214 times)

Offline Will

• New Member!
New member with a bulb question
« on: January 22, 2005, 11:42:04 pm »
Hello everybody,
I have been lurking here for a while and just joined this week.
I didn't know there were so many other people interested in bulbs!

Hopefully someone here may have some technical  info on one of the bulbs in my collection.
It is a large one (see picture for size) and labeled DTY Quartzline 10,000 W 120 V, and was used for movie lighting.  I am thinking of lighting this one up.

The question I have is, assuming a sufficient power supply,  can this bulb just be started "accross the line"  or would it need some kind of current limit to ramp up slowly?

By the way, what a great site.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: New member with a bulb question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 07:24:42 am »
Hi Will,

Welcome to the forums.  I would use caution if you are considering lighting this monster.  I would think the current draw would be astronomical, especially at cold startup, and dangerous if your circuit isn’t properly wired for such a huge load.  You are probably correct about starting it up slowly but I’m really not familiar with these lamps so maybe someone else can jump in here and lend some advice.

Offline Ray Ladegast

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:26:23 pm »
Hi Will,
Welcome, That's quite a bulb you have there and I'll bet it is as bright as an ark welder if lighted. :-o It would be almost impossable to light at home. Just doing the math it would draw over 83.3 Amps. The inrush would be allmost a direct short. :evil: You would need a 100 Amp service wired directly to the bulb.
I am an engineer for a TV station. We use 100 amp remote controled SCR dimmers on our studio lighting. These dimmers prevent inrush and control light level. We have 4 or 5, 750w and 1000w lamps per dimmer. The dimmers rae supplied through a transforme to a 600 Amp 440 Volt service.
Even though you cant light it, it's still a great looker

Happy Collecting,      Ray L

Offline Will

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 07:22:27 pm »
I think I have the answer I was looking for.  As it happens I have acces to a commercial service entrance that is capable of supplying the required power (82A @ 120Volts).  Since large bulbs like this are "ramped up" slowly (thanks Ray)  then I would have to limit current at startup.  I could  put an arc welder in series with the bulb and slowly crank up the current as the arc welder is adjustable.  I'll probably have to put up a lexan shield as I know the quartz envelope can burst.  If I ever can get this lit, I'll post some pictures.

Will