Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Using dimmers on old bulbs  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Ray Ladegast

Using dimmers on old bulbs
« on: August 16, 2002, 10:54:00 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a new member of this great forum. I have been collecting light bulbs for as long as I can remember, I'm 55. I'm glad to see how many people injoy the passion of light bulb collecting.
   Now to the subject. I read in one of the topics about using a light dimmer to light old bulbs. This be dangerous to old bulbs with weak filliments or low voltage bulbs. Dimmers use short pulse at full voltage to dim the light.
   I have found that using a variable transformer is a much safer way to test and light old lights. You can bring up the voltage slowly, this will not shock ths filliment. Thay may be more expensive but is worth it when lighting a prized bulb.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2002, 05:12:00 am »
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the good tip and welcome to the bulb forums.  BTW, you are not too far from me, I live in Muskegon.  Small bulb collecting world!  I've picked up a few old bulbs in Rockford when I remember there being antique shops in town. I'm not sure what's in town now...

Regards,

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline Ross

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 05:50:00 pm »
Ray,  I would agree with that advice.  I used to have a dimmer on a track lighting system; the waveform produced by the dimmer actually caused the conductors in the track to vibrate enough to emit a noticeable buzz.  So I can imagine that the effect on an old fillament might be less than desireable.

Offline Alan Franzman

• Nixie Tube Addict
  • Email a.j.franzman [A T] verizon [D O T] net
    • Nixie Tube Cross-Reference
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 04:57:00 am »
It depends on the dimmer.  You're describing a new electronic style dimmer, which uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to dim the light.  A good old-fashioned resistive (wirewound rheostat) dimmer will reduce the current throughout the waveform and protect your delicate antique filaments.

------------------

Alan "A.J." Franzman

Email: a.j.franzman at verizon dot net

------------------
A.J.

Offline Ray Ladegast

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2002, 07:38:00 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Alan. The wirewound rheostats are a safe bet for lighting old lamps. The warning was for the electronic dimmers. P.S. for Tim, two of the antique shops in Rockford have closed. I have had some luck finding old bulbs out your way. Several shops on US 31 between Grand Haven & Holland have tuened up some good finds. Also the large antique mall on 31 just north of Holland has been good.

Offline Hemingray

• Lightbulb Junkie
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 08:21:00 pm »
Hmm.......maybe one of those old chunky fan speed boxes would work?

Offline ChuckB

• New Member!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2002, 12:00:00 am »
I agree that the pulse width dimmers are not good for bulbs. Ideally you could use a variable transformer (sometimes called a "Variac", although they are somewhat expensive. They have mainly been replaced by those nasty pulse width controllers.

Using a variable transformer or a reostat would allow you to bring up the voltage slowly to prevent a sudden change in the temperature of the filament. A sudden change jolts the filament. Did you ever notice that the usual time for a bulb to fail is when you turn it on?

Also, using a variable transformer to bring up the voltage slowly would permit you to check out a bulb of unknown voltage without danger of blowing it out.

Ideally, valuable bulbs should be operated on filtered DC, because all incandesent bulbs vibrate slightly, 120 times a second, on 60Hz AC voltage. But there is one danger with doing this: if you change AC to DC and filter it, you have a higher DC voltage than the AC voltage was. I don't want to get into the technical details too much, but you wind up with the peak AC voltage, (almost 170 Volts). So, in addition to the variable transformer or reostat, and the rectifier and filter capacitors, you would also need a meter to monitor the voltage.

Another caution about using a variable transformer, even if you do not use a "rectifier" and a filter to change it to DC is the fact that, if adjusted to the maximum, they are designed to allow you to boost the line voltage by about 20%.

If anybody is interested, I will try to post a diagram and a parts list for making a variable DC power supply. Or, if money is no object, you could simply buy one.

[This message has been edited by ChuckB (edited December 17, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by ChuckB (edited March 11, 2003).]