Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: What type of halogen bulb is this? (can't find replacement, need substitute?)  (Read 10330 times)

Offline JAKABEDY

• New Member!
You all have so much knowledge!  I hope you don't mind me posting to ask a simple "what is my bulb?" question. 

The photo below is of the bulb that is in the pendant lights in our kitchen, so would be a 120V for line voltage.  I have found many standard halogen bulbs that appear to be the same bulb, but the base is throwing me off.  I can't find anything with pins so short, and I haven't seen anything with the slip-on metal shield like this one has.  There are no markings on the bulb or the shield.  I don't have a way to measure metric, but the distance between the pins is 1/4" and the length of the glass portion base to tip is 1-5/8."  The pins stick out 1/8"

The fixture has the following text: "Max 50W Type T"

I have no idea how long the fixtures have been there, but there is a similar one on the shelf at Lowe's currently, so I'm guessing they are not more than 5-6 years old (how long have pendants been the rage, anyway?).  However, the one on the shelf now uses a different type of bulb (I opened the box to look at it).  If I cannot find this particular bulb, is there a substitute of some kind that can be used?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thank you!

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
Hi.
It seems like if their pins were melted by a defective contact with socket's contacts. Check at this point because if some dirty, oxide or any kind of wear could be adding some resistance between that and lamp pins. If this occurs, an arc can forms very easily with the result of a great temperature increasing. If such temperature raises near the melting point of the metal that forms the pins, these could be brought to the incandescence and could literally melt.
It's likely that the socket could be defective and needs to be changed by a new one to prevent further damage to new lamps that will be installed on the fixture.
Good luck and regards.
M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:56:47 am by M?nico Gonz?lez »