Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Replacing C7 bubble light bulbs  (Read 28742 times)

Offline sheryl

• New Member!
Replacing C7 bubble light bulbs
« on: October 21, 2000, 02:04:00 am »
Can anyone help me with directions on how to replace a burned out bulb in the C7 bubble lights? I have several and would really like to see them light up again. Thanks!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2000, 08:08:00 am »
Hi Sheryl,

This message appeared on the old message board and I've pulled it out & copied it here since it's good information to have and this is a common question:

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Kelsay:
Yes, it is possible to re-new or re-bulb an old Bubble-lite Christmas lamp. You can easily re-new 1946 and later C-6 size, 15 volt Bubble- lites using a type # 52 miniature light bulb available from Radio Shack.

The re-newing process works like this: First, remove the vial of colored methaline chloride from the plastic lamp base, then 'crush' the glass envelope of the burnt out bulb using a screwdriver, etc.- and, push the old C-6 size screw base out thru the bottom of the plastic base. Now, the colored plastic base is empty, and the type #52 lamp can be inserted thru the top larger opening and secured inside the base using a couple drops of airplane glue, which was used for securing the original lamp. Next, insert the vial of methaline chloride into the plastic base and apply a couple drops of super glue in the top neck of the base --- this will secure the vial, and hold the vial firming against the round contour of the replacement lamp. The type #52 lamp is rated 14.4 volts, which is near enough the original 15 volt rating, plus many of the 40's Noma bubble lite strings contain 9 sockets, which supply each lamp only 13.10 volts, well below the 14.4 volt rating of the #52 replacement lamps.

Steve Kelsay

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2000, 07:33:00 am »
Hi,

For C7 bubble lights things are a little different, for a start you`ll need to find the correct replacements. A regular C7 bulb is too big to go inside a bubble light, the proper ones are smaller. I find they pop up on ebay quite often, do a search for "bubble light" or something similar, and keep watching every day or 2 and soon enough hopefully some will turn up. Then assuming you win them you`ll need to get them inside.
To do this you`ll need to seperate the 2 coloured halves of the body. This is quite easilly done on the newer types, the glue holding them together detaches quite easilly, but as I`ve not got any vintage C7 ones yet I`m not sure about them. Still, take a good look, and if it seems possible then carefully prise the halves with a knife (watch your fingers!) and hopefully they`ll seperate without much, if any, damage. Perhaps try it on one that`s not in too good condition (no/broken tube, melted, etc) to see how it goes. Then it`s just a case of pulling out the old bulb and inserting the new one. Secure it with a spot of Epoxy glue (or similar), and then glue the top half with the tube back on. It may help to carefully remove the tube before, and re-glue it so it rests on top if the new bulb properly, as it may be slightly taller or shorter than the old one.
All being well you should now have a perfectly working bubble light again! You may notice the bubbling action is less than other vintage ones with their original bulbs, this is because often new c7 bulbs are 5 watts, whereas in the past they were 7watts. The result is they don`t get quite as hot. So if you can, then try to find the 7-watt bulbs, they`ll give the best results.

Hope this helps, and if you try it then best of luck, and let us all know how you got on!

------------------

-chris

http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/chrismillinship

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2000, 03:12:00 pm »
Hi,

Thought I`d let you know that currently going through ebay are these...
 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=477469884

25 clear C7 bubblelite replacement bulbs. Just under 6 days left at the time of writing, though I don`t know what the wattage is. Starts at $9.99...

------------------

-chris

http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/chrismillinship

Offline William Oelker

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2000, 10:51:00 pm »
Sheryl, There is a supplier on the web for C7 Replacement bublbs. Here is the link and this lady is a big Christmas Collector also. I repair my C7 bubble lights another way and it is more involved and more difficult. Here is the link. Good Luck Bill http://members.aol.com/christmasdotcc/christmaslights.htm

Offline ASBESTOS FINGERS

• New Member!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2001, 12:13:00 am »
I HAVE BEEN READING THIS SITE FOR ONE MONTH.YOURE DISCUSSION ON C-7 BUBBLE LIGHTS,AND BULB REPLACEMENT HAD ME JUMPING OFF MY SEAT,I JUST HAVE SO MUCH TO TELL! FIRST PRYING THE REFLECTOR OF THE BUBBLELIGHT APART ,THATS EASY.SEPERATING THE BURNT OUT LAMP FROM THE BOTTOM PORTION OF THE REFLECTOR,THAT IS SOMETHING I HAVE YET TO ACHIEVE SUCCESSFULLY.I HAVE PURCHASED SOME VERRY COLORFUL C-7 BUBBLE LIGHT SETS. IN THE PAST TWO YEARS,MY EXPERIENCES HAVE BEEN BITTERSWEET,I WILL TELL YOU,THAT THIS YEAR,I NOTICED SOME DESIGN FLAWS,AS WELL AS POORLY,MANUFACTURED SETS,CHEAPLY MADE LAMPS,ETC.REFLECTORS HAVE BEEN MADE WITH GOOD QUALITY,AND ARE REMINISENT OF THE COLOURS OF THE EARLY NOMA AND ROYAL SETS. I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU ABOUT LAMP QUALITY,I PURCHASED A SET LAST YEAR,I PUT THEM ON MY TREE,FIVE OF SEVEN,DID NOT LAST CHRISTMAS WEEK,SO I PRYED A FEW OF THE BURNT OUT LAMPS OPEN,AND CHECKED OUT THE BULB ITSELF.THE LAMP WAS BLACK ,I TOOK ANOTHER ONE APART THIS ONE,I COULD SEE THE PROBLEM CLEARLY.THE FILAMENT WAS KNOTING AND CURLING,ACTUALLY SHRINKING,CAUSING BULB TO BURN OUT PREMATURELY.THIS IS A CHEAP LIGHT BULB. THIS YEAR I HAVE NOTICED THE USE OF THE 5 WATT LAMPS.THESE PROVIDE GOOD ILLUMINATION,AND KEEP HEAT DOWN TO A MINIMUM. THIS YEAR I PURCHASED 5 WELL MADE SETS FROM AIMES DEPARTMENT STORES, ALSO SEARS CARRIES A GOOD QUALITY BUBBLE LIGHT SET,THESE I PURCHASED THREE YEARS AGO ,THEY ARE EXCELLENT QUALITY.THERE ARE SEVERAL NOVELTY COMPANIES NATION WIDE WHO MANUFACTURE CHRISTMAS LIGHT SETS,THESE SETS ARE NOT MADE IN THE USA. BIG SHOCK! I ADMIT MY OBSESSION WITH CHRISTMAS LIGHTS,GOES BACK AS EARLY,AS I COULD REMEMBER.I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE ENTRIES IN THIS SITE,YOU ARE MY HOME.I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2001, 07:03:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ASBESTOS FINGERS:
I HAVE BEEN READING THIS SITE FOR ONE MONTH.........I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE ENTRIES IN THIS SITE,YOU ARE MY HOME.I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.

Welcome aboard!

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com