Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Could this be the smallest.....  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Could this be the smallest.....
« on: January 22, 2002, 04:57:00 pm »
....Edison Carbon lamp ever made?

These three candelabra based bulbs are tiny, and possibly date to the turn of the last century or just before. The little Edison on the left is under an inch tall and the glass is about half an inch wide. Unusually, it`s a 34 volt 2cp bulb despite its diminutive size- as is the S-shape one to the right (or nearabouts, as it`s unmarked, but tests out much the same). The middle one is almost certainly a Flashlight bulb, as it runs happily at only 3 or 4 volts, but those other two could not have been made for portable battery power equipment.

Here`s the little Edison lit....

I wonder what it was used for? Does anyone know of any carbon bulbs- Edison or not- that are smaller? To this date, this is the tiniest carbon lamp I`ve ever seen....

------------------
visit my world of electrical things that glow!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 03:18:23 pm by tim »

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 06:15:00 pm »
Hi Chris,

Those are neat bulbs and I love the little Edison labels! ?The bulb on the far right is unusual looking too - never saw anything like it's shape. ?I have something similar [Edison] but not nearly as small. ?I think it's a Christmas lamp but I guess it could have served just about any purpose. ?It has a carbon filament and miniature base:

The smallest one I have is actually part of an electrified scarf pin. ?I have no idea if the filament is carbon or tungsten, I'm guessing carbon but I'm not sure of the age of this thing. ?I've never tried to light it for fear of blowing the delicate filament:

Not Edison, but here's another tiny one about the size of a dime, carbon filament and loop terminals from Europe. ?Click Here to open another window to view it.

Happy Collecting,

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 03:20:56 pm by tim »

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 07:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the pictures Tim- I think you win with that scarf pin bulb if it is carbon- such a small one indeed. Suppose only a microscope could look close enough to be able to tell though.

I`m pretty sure your frosted Edison lamp was made as a christmas bulb, 14v was the standard voltage for series Carbon light sets (8 bulbs x 14v = 112v, close enough to 110) although of course the later tungsten ones sold up to the 70s were 15 or 16v due to the slightly higher line voltage found in most places by then. It`s exactly the same shape as the handful of carbon "pear" xmas bulbs I have here too. According to an anecdote I read on Bill Nelson`s web site, early Edison xmas bulbs had labels on, just like their bigger counterparts.

The odd shaped one on the right of my photo I believe is officially "s" shape glass, probably an S-4 or S-5 (it`s packed away safe for now so I can`t measure it). I havn`t seen them elsewhere either, and no idea what it was used for, or why it`s that shape.

Actually these 3 were being sold as one lot- the cute little Edison Carbon label on that one was the thing that made up my mind that I simply must get them (though I`m pretty sure I`d have got`em anyways)! Relative to the bulb size, it does seem a little big ?

Here`s a pic of the other two glowing, in case you were interested to see them....

------------------
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 03:23:27 pm by tim »

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 07:46:00 pm »
Oh- there was something I didn`t get quite right. The picture of the little Edison bulb lit up was taken at about 16-18v, not 24 as the ALT text shows. I turned the voltage down lower so I could get a picture showing it`s intricate little 3 loop filament. At 24 it began to flare out like the other one above, which incidentally has a similar 3 loop filament if my memory serves me correctly. Its frosting is heavier though, and I couldn`t get any decent picture showing it.

------------------