Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Unknown Old Light Bulb  (Read 6627 times)

Offline William Oelker

Unknown Old Light Bulb
« on: October 01, 2001, 12:41:00 pm »
Hi All, I wonder if anyone knows anything about this light bulb? Thanks All

Marked -----236W/120V
 http://homestead.juno.com/boelker/files/oldlights/Dcp_06961.jpg  http://homestead.juno.com/boelker/files/oldlights/Dcp_0697.jpg

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Unknown Old Light Bulb
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2001, 05:27:00 pm »
What you have there is a Carbon Heater Lamp which was primarily used for medicinal purposes. They were made by a good many companies (I have one made by NALCO), and I believe between the mid 1910s to the end of the 30s or maybe later. They were used in fixtures with parabolic, adjustable, reflectors. The heat radiated from the bulb, focussed by the reflector dish, was directed to aching joints, the warmth relieved the pain somewhat- a method still used today with similar fixtures, but using tungsten PAR lamps.

There are some types of those lamps which have a neat looking spring-like conical spiral filament, and rarely, with a frosted exterior except for a clear circular "window". This is known as a "Stereoptican" filament shape, and those were used in Magic Lanterns and other projectors since they gave a bright, concentrated light. But your lamp was almost certainly used just for medicinal warming effects. Maybe a room-heater on a tight budget?   Since it`s tipless I`d estimate it dates from the mid 20s or onwards.

------------------
visit my world of electrical things that glow!