Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Atlas Fluorescent Tubes; still running?  (Read 9927 times)

Offline Simon McConway

• New Member!
Atlas Fluorescent Tubes; still running?
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:03:21 pm »
I collect Atlas lamps and noticed an old Atlas Fluorescent tube still running in a church.  I believe these lamps were stopped being manufactured around 30 years ago? Anyone still running such a Fluorescent tube?  Most of the Atlas lamps in my collection are projector lamps. 

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: Atlas Fluorescent Tubes; still running?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:45:51 pm »
Welcome to the forum Simon.

I looked through my collection and only have two Atlas lamps, both neon types.  They are pictured here for reference:

http://bulbcollector.com/gateway/Gas_Discharge_Lamps/Neon/Atlas

I would like to get confirmation on when the first one was made (?ne0016?) if you happen to have any data.

It?s amazing that the fluorescent tubes are still operating if they are that old.

Offline Chris Kocsis

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 04:33:43 pm »
Ooh!  I'd love to have an Atlas utility glow lamp (already have the ER lamps in both cap-up and cap-down (to use the British phrasing) configurations).

Best,

Chris

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:45:07 am »
Hi Tim, is there any date code marking on your Atlas neon glow lamp?  1940's looks about right though.

Atlas fluorescent tubes are indeed remarkable devices.  They featured an exclusive Braided cathode design (also used in Thorn, Mazda, Omega, Ecko tubes, which were all made in the same factory as the Atlas products).  Instead of being made from a simple coiled tungsten wire, their cathodes were braided into a hollow tube from seven fine wires of tungsten.  The emissive compound was held inside this tube particularly strongly, resulting in exceptional lifetimes.  Even though Atlas brand lamps have not been manufactured since the early 1970s, I recall when at University 10 years ago there were significant quantities of their fluorescent tubes still operating with more than 30 years service.

Perhaps for obvious reasons, the braided cathode was discontinued around the same time and the factory switched over to using a simple coiled tungsten electrode like the competition.

Offline AlecJames

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:35:43 am »
I have 3 Atlas "Quick start" reflector 4' tubes still running in my conservatory.  They were there when I bought the house over 10 years ago.  I was searching to see whether I could still get reflector tubes since these are the only ones I've ever seen. 
Could they be 30 years old? 
A