Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: RIP Edward Covington  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
RIP Edward Covington
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:46:58 pm »
I just learned of Ed's passing.  This is a sad loss to our little hobby.  Ed possessed a great historical knowledge of early lighting that he shared through his writings in books, his website, and the numerous email exchanges that I and others had with him over the years.  Rest in peace, Ed

Covington, Edward 5/18/1931 - 2/10/2017 Athens, Ohio Edward J. Covington died February 10, 2017, at home near Athens, Ohio. He was born May 18, 1931, in Flint, Michigan. After earning his BS and MS in Physics from Michigan State University, Ed began his career at General Electric (GE) Research Laboratory in Schenectady, NY. His GE career was interrupted by two years of service in the U.S. Army, after which he entered the GE Research Laboratory Training Program in Schenectady. In 1960, he moved to GE's Lighting group at Nela Park in East Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked in research and engineering until retiring in 1992. Early electric lighting was a passion of Ed's; he collected light bulbs and wrote about the early history of the electric lighting industry and many other topics. Much of this information remains on his websites. Ed is survived by his wife of 63 years, Mary Lou (Tobin), children Nancy and David, daughter-in-law Darlene, grandchildren Caleb, Adrienne and Emmett, and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, John and Violet Covington, and brothers, Walter and Howard. No memorial is planned, but his family intends to maintain his websites and welcomes inquiries about his personal writings. Please share a memory, a note of condolence, or sign the online register at www.jagersfuneralhome.com. Jagers & Sons Funeral Home

Offline cmshapiro

Re: RIP Edward Covington
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:14:21 pm »
When I first started collecting Ed's book "The Electric Incandescent Lamp 1880-1925" was my bible. My original copy, purchased when it came out in 1998, is full of dog ears and well worn from reading it over and over again.

Back in the early 1960's (and perhaps earlier) Ed Covington, Dr. Hugh Hicks, Fin Steward and Joseph Schmid communicated and began a newsletter for their group called TILCA (The Incandescent Lamp Collectors Association). How these gentleman found each other back then without the Internet, and being spread across the country (and even continents, in the case of Fin), I don't know. This was a different era of collectors it seems, and today only Fin is still with us. They were the roots of our hobby.

Ed contributed so much to the hobby, and for that I am immensely grateful!