Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: 1953 Coronation Fluorescent Tube  (Read 15214 times)

Offline Peter Reynolds

• New Member!
1953 Coronation Fluorescent Tube
« on: June 18, 2002, 03:29:00 pm »
Hi all
Can anybody advise me about a red white and blue fluorescent tube believed to have been manufactured by Mazda in England around 1953 for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2nd.
The tube is still working had it lite for the golden jubilee When not Lite it appears to be just a plain white tube,

Offline Bob Masters

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 12:38:00 pm »
Sounds like a nice bulb to have !
Does anyone else out there know of these bulbs ?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 07:05:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Masters:
Sounds like a nice bulb to have !
Does anyone else out there know of these bulbs ?

Here's something that sounds similar I spotted on eBay about two years ago.  The bulb advertises a Whiskey I believe and was produced by Westinghouse, or at least a Westinghouse bulb was used under the silk screening.  I don't know anything about these bulbs but thought it was interesting and it sounds similar to your bulb Peter.  I'd like to see a picture of your Coronation bulb - sounds like a nice one.

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 10:19:00 pm »
Hi Peter,

I have never seen one of these lamps before but have read of them in Mazda company records.  They were made at Leicester factory in England in early 1953 and apparently were on sale to the public at the time.  They simply make use of three different phosphors inside the standard tube, white in the middle with red and blue at each end.  A neon glow "ER" lamp was also manufactured by Atlas lamps and Osram at the same time (see photos at http://www.hooker1.fsnet.co.uk/Coronation.htm)   That's all I know about it I'm afraid!

While we are on the subject though, Duro-Test also used to make similar things - this came up on Ebay a couple of years ago.  
 It has stamped out metal letters inside which have been painted with various fluorescent phosphors and arranged to glow in different colours when the tube is energised.  British Siemens also made 12" long striplights in clear glass tubes with metal letters in a neon atmosphere, to special order with a customer's own lettering.

Best regards,

James.

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 03:26:00 pm »
I remember once on TV seeing a special demonstration flourescent light tube that had alternating clear and coloured sections- pink, blue and green I think, and white when off. Sort of off-topic I`ll admit, but also related at the same time- at least shows that the capability is there to produce three colours from one tube.  

BTW Peter, is the red section of your tube a true red when lit, or is it more like pink? I`ve yet to see a white-when-off flourescent or neon-flourescent tube produce a true red without the use of coloured glass or some sort of external lacquer/filter.

James- a correction to your link if I may. The BB software has interpreted your closing bracket as part of the address.

I believe this should work: http://www.hooker1.fsnet.co.uk/Coronation.htm

Everyone- the rest of James`s site is well worth a visit too, especially to the discharge lamp enthusiast. Fascinating stuff there... http://www.hooker1.fsnet.co.uk

------------------
visit my world of electrical things that glow!

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2002, 09:10:00 am »
Thanks for the correction Chris!  I have one of those multi-colour tubes here actually, maybe I shall try and add a photo of that as well!  It is a 4-foot tube with red, green, blue, white and clear sections.  Also a few months ago Osram launched a new series of coloured T5 fluorescents and had their exhibition stand illuminated with special tri-colour tubes.

In Japan these are standard products which you can find in many electrical shops - quite what application they find I am not sure of!  A company called Kyokko manufactures Red-Green-Blue striped tubes from 9" length to 4-foot size.  German firm Narva also makes spiral-type CFL's for special effect lighting with alternating colours on each loop of the spiral although I have never been able to find them in quantities of less than 100pcs due to their unpopularity.

Maybe you will be able to do a better job of tracking some down!

James.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2002, 09:29:00 am »
I never knew such things were made today! Sounds like fun, I don`t have any coloured flourexcent tubes asides a range of small globe shape compact flourescents.

As for tracking these exotic tubes and lights down, highly unlikely I`ll be able as I have had nothing but bad luck trying to source small quantities of anything from wholesalers and distributors. They just aren`t interested in small low value private orders.

But that doesn`t mean I won`t try to find some!

------------------

Offline Peter Reynolds

• New Member!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2002, 04:11:00 pm »
Hi all
Can I start by saying thank you to all the people who have been kind enough to reply.

1.The local press is coming to take some digital photos of the tube will post when received
2. Chris re the colour is more pink than true red I thought the colour had faded slightly but from your comments see this is proberbly the manufactured colour.I work for a family run firm of electrical wholesalers
which goes back four generations which explains how this coronation tube has survived.

3. Hugh King of Thorn UK as kindly sent me a 1936 Mazda catalogue for me look at for which I thank him.
4. James one comment from Hugh King was that
 they Know that a red (pink) white and blue tube was manf, during the late forties.by Mazda.Unfortunatly Thorn sold on Mazda To GE in America which is why I am Hopeing Somebody at GE maybe able to dig up some further info.
Will keep you informed of any developements.

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2002, 12:06:00 pm »
Hi Peter,

I used to work at the GE / Mazda factory in Leicester and in fact was responsible for looking after the historic lamp collection and archive info there.  My comments on this lamp are based on what I read in their materials.

It is interesting to hear that Mazda made these tubes in the late 1940's as well, I hadn't realised that they were also made then.  Certainly there is no reference to these in the material that GE has, but it is not a proper archive - just boxes of miscellaneous papers so it is by no means a comprehensive record.

I left GE 3 years ago and sadly due to downsizing of the company, I don't think anyone looks after that archive material now.  I know of every item they have and doubt that they would be able to provide any further information.  If you are seriously interested in pursuing this, I could write to an ex-employee who looked after the collection before me and if his memory is good he may be able to tell you something more about it.

BTW say hi to Hugh King from me if you speak to him again!

Best regards,

James.

Offline Peter Reynolds

• New Member!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2002, 02:06:00 pm »
Hi all
Need some advise How do I take a Photo of this fl/tube the local rag seems to be struggling it is mounted in a white fitting. All the pictures including the digital ones come out showing just a blurred white tube, with a little bit of colour at the ends.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2002, 07:53:00 am »
Taking pictures of lit flourescents is very hard as most can`t be dimmed. I don`t know of a fail-safe way to do it while still retaining the detail of the tube ends and fixture. My only reccomendation would be to under-expose the picture. Using a digital camera it`s probably possible to manually override the auto exposure, then just turn it right down until the colours can be seen. It may turn out that all you can see is the lit portion of the tube with no other detail, but that could be backed up with a second detail picture of the fixture in its unlit state- that would also show the fact that it is all-white when unlit.

Hopefully you can get a reasonable result. Looking forward to seeing it.

------------------