Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Balafire Bulb & Electric Flame (Kyp-Go)  (Read 31358 times)

Offline Don M

Balafire Bulb & Electric Flame (Kyp-Go)
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:30:16 pm »
My first 'real' visit to the forum.  My Uncle is Robert (Bob) Kyp, owner of Kyp-Go and author of a patent on an oscillating Carbon Filament bulb --- in the 70's that bulb was the Balafire.  While I've seen a lot of interest in the older bulb, a newer version is now being made in limited quantities (hand made filament, hand assembled, positioned, and tested).  The newer balafire is in the same size envelope as a standard light bulb -- actually a smaller and larger version.  Another bulb (oscillating filament) called an Electric Flame is also made.  I'm going to try and upload two video files of the bulbs for those of you that would like to see them.  If that doesn't work (I might be to dumb to get them uploaded), shoot me an e-mail and I'll send the files to you.

In addition to the oscillating bulb he also continues to make several other Carbon Filament bulbs -- all filaments are crafted by hand.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: Balafire Bulb & Electric Flame (Kyp-Go)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:33:05 pm »
Don, I got my Balafire lamps last Friday and they look awesome!? Very nice work and craftsmanship ? I especially like the faux exhaust tips and the natural gold coloring.? If I have time, I?ll try and post some pictures here for others to see.?

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:28:19 pm »
Hi, Don and Tim!
I would like see them too, because I like all kind of carbon filament lamps.
I guess these bulbs are made only for 120 volts and 60 Hz service, so, what about an export model for 220-230 / 50 Hz?.
I live in Spain and it would be cool to buy some of these lamps for my own collection and to be displayed at my website. Even in the case of these would be rated for your electric standards, it would be a minor problem (I can power any kind of lamp no matter what voltage are rated for).
Please, tell me if your are planning to market your products worldwide.
Thanks in advance and best regards.

M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:38:39 pm by M?nico Gonz?lez »

Offline Don M

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:02:56 pm »
Monico --- Yes, I do have some 50Hz bulbs but they are 120 volts.? I understand that with a transformer (to reduce the voltage),? ?or? ?by connecting two 120 volt bulbs (50hz) in series that they would work.? I will market the bulbs overseas ... please contact me at donmillett@bellsouth.net.

Tim -- I'm glad you like the bulbs, I can sit and watch them for hours.? For some reason they just relax me.? If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.? FYI -- I just started making a candelabra style lamp also that also oscillates.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:28:30 pm »
Here are some pictures - Electric Flame and Balafire shown here:

Offline Don M

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:54:47 pm »
Great pictures Tim .... I wish I could get the AVI Video file to load so members/guests could see the radical movement in the filament of both bulbs.  FYI we just created a 50Hz 120 volt bulb -- a version of the electric flame.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 09:55:28 pm »
Here are direct links to the AVI videos that Don has sent me.? File size is around 1mb for each one:

http://bulbcollector.com/photos/IMGP3999.AVI

http://bulbcollector.com/photos/IMGP4004.AVI

Offline Gnildir

• New Member!
    • Dahliasuppliers.com
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:56:46 am »
Monico --- Yes, I do have some 50Hz bulbs but they are 120 volts.  I understand that with a transformer (to reduce the voltage),   or   by connecting two 120 volt bulbs (50hz) in series that they would work.  I will market the bulbs overseas ... please contact me at donmillett@bellsouth.net.

Tim -- I'm glad you like the bulbs, I can sit and watch them for hours.  For some reason they just relax me.  If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.  FYI -- I just started making a candelabra style lamp also that also oscillates.

Don, I agree with you by 100% on this one...  I could sit there for hours just watching them.  If I was to come and visit the factory, expect me to bring out a cot in the testing room as I would be mesmersized by seeing at least 50 of them on at the same time.  By the way, what is the maximum number of bulbs that the testing table is able to hold?
"Without Edison, where would we be at today?"  -Aaron Wade Ridling

Offline Gnildir

• New Member!
    • Dahliasuppliers.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:14:00 am »
I found an imitator of the balafire, but I would like to acquire this one.  I have sent an email to the person that has this picture on his site (a professor at a college or university in Brazil) and asking him where he got that bulb.  It's like the balafire, but it has 2 filaments in it.  1 is stationary and the other one moves, only when the collar with the magnet is put on the bulb.  now, that's a neat little trick to show about magnetism and the carbon filament!

Hopefully, this guy will be kind enough to let me know where he got this bulb.

Here's the link to that page.  But it's all in Brazilian, the 2nd link is that site that has been translated by another site...

http://www.feiradeciencias.com.br/sala14/14_08.asp

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.feiradeciencias.com.br%2Fsala14%2F14_08.asp&type=text&text=&from=pob&to=eng

-Aaron
"Without Edison, where would we be at today?"  -Aaron Wade Ridling

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:22:57 am »
Saw another variation on Ebay recently too, tried to go for it but got outbid unfortunately. This one was apparently made in Japan and has a round magnet attached permanently to the outside of the glass. Strangely, it`s green, odd colour for a flame lamp, but I do have a green lacquered neon flicker lamp here so there must be some sort of fondness for green ones in Japan.

See this page, the photos are still up for now.

:)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 04:57:54 pm »
Hi Chris,

This Abco (Japanese) variation is from the 1970s.? I have faint memories of this particular style being used for special effects on some of the rides at Walt Disney World in Florida, namely the "Hounted Mansion" - one of my favorites when I was a little kid.? One of the souvenir shops at Disney had these bulbs for sale and I talked my parents into buying me one - this was during the mid 1970s.? Mine was amber in color with the same disk shaped magnet on the outside.? I had it for a number of years but it eventually broke.? I've wanted to find another every since so it's interesting to see this green one on eBay.? Thanks for bringing back a good memory!

I?m attaching photos from the auction mentioned above for archival purposes (bulb sold for $33 - April 3rd, 2007)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 05:11:18 pm by Tim »

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 11:19:59 am »
I found an imitator of the balafire, but I would like to acquire this one.? I have sent an email to the person that has this picture on his site (a professor at a college or university in Brazil) and asking him where he got that bulb.? It's like the balafire, but it has 2 filaments in it.? 1 is stationary and the other one moves, only when the collar with the magnet is put on the bulb.? now, that's a neat little trick to show about magnetism and the carbon filament!

Hi!.
I must say that the owner of these lamp it's me. The lamp belongs to my own collection and can be seen here:

http://mis-bombillas.com/Mis-Bombi-Web/Carbon-Oscil.htm

Perhaps that proffesor from Brazil has "taken" my picture, but without my permission. The original is in Ciudad Real, Spain, where I live. I purchased this lamp five years ago, just when my website started.
In fact, the magnet are outside placed which allows to "play" with the distance and orientation near the longer filament.
But I must insist, this bulb isn't a true "Balafire", nor has any to do with "Kyp-go" brand. I simply ignore its origin, but perhaps it could be a typical "made in China" product from mid-to-end eighties.
I've visited yet the URL where you found my picture, so, I will say to this professor that is a good practice, at least, to say who are the true owner of things (pictures, articles, etc.) when one takes them to use at their websites. :x? ?because he?has used my pictures without telling me it!

Regards,
M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:19:35 pm by M?nico Gonz?lez »

Offline Ralph

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 11:14:32 pm »
I remember back in the early '70s having a balafire bulb and playing music through it.
I would hook the bulb to my stereo (through a step up transformer for the proper voltage
to the bulb), turn the bass control all the way up, and watch the filament glow and shake
to the music. Someting like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album which had lots of
deep organ type bass would make the filament shake and twist in all sorts of interesting
patterns. Has anybody else tried that or something similar?

Don, if you like watching the oscillating filament at line frequency, I think you would really enjoy
watching the filament shake to music.

Ralph
Ralph