Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Unusual old Flourescent tube.  (Read 7959 times)

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Unusual old Flourescent tube.
« on: July 16, 2000, 12:34:00 pm »
Hello everyone.
I saw this flourescent tube in a Portugese supermarket, when I was on holiday in 1993. Does anyone have one of these for sale, or know where I can get one?

The printing on it said "Duro Test, Power-Twirl", and it`s four-feet long. I did see one other like this, one foot long, being used in a display case at a pet store. The small insert shows the spirals a bit more clearly. I hope someone can help, thanks!
-chris

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2000, 05:12:00 pm »
Hi Chris,

That lamp was made obsolete just a few months ago!  Duro Test corp was unfortunately closed down by Mr Sorensen of Litetronics after he bought them out and its a great shame because Duro-Test made some really unique products.  I've only seen that tube used in the USA where it is known as the Power-Twist and the idea is that the special shape makes the discharge path about 10% longer than the lamp itself, and coupled with the larger 54mm diameter you get more light from this tube.  I am trying to obtain one myself so if I find anyone who can ship them I'll ask for two :-)

The nearest you can easily get now is the "PowerGroove" F48PG17 from GE which operates on exactly the same principle but the tube has crescent-shaped indentations in the side instead of being spiralled.  Tesco use the 8-foot 215W version to light the freezer cabinets in some of their supermarkets because these tubes perform better at lower temperatures than conventional types.  You should be able to order them from most electrical wholesalers in the UK but I'm afraid they're not cheap because you may have to buy a box of 8!

Offline Dave

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2000, 12:56:00 am »
Yes I know those fluorescent lamps, they are so cool! Vita-Lite fluorescents should still be available in lighting stores and some hardware stores, in retail packaging, even the power twist ones. There is one store here that is entirely lit with those twisted lamps, all 48" lamps, Aurora V (5000K lamps)...they are all still there but because of the closing of the New Jersey factory those lamps are now out of production...until furthur notice. Duro-Lite, the home lighting division of Durotest/Litetronics, is still in business and they intend to continue marketing those products, but are N/A until furthur notice...for the same reasons mentioned above.
DMD