Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: GE Mazda lamps  (Read 19944 times)

Offline jonathan cassiday

GE Mazda lamps
« on: December 16, 2005, 07:53:11 pm »
I usually post in the christmas lighting section, but as this does not relate to christmas lights i will post it here.I recently found a stash of NOS G-E Mazda lamps , ten to a box, rated for 6 volts at .50 amps for use3 in flashlights with five d cell batteries. I know that the mazda name was deoped in 1945, but i would like to date the box by box art but can not find a refrence for dating the box art. Does anyone know where i m ight find reference, and if anyone is intrestd i may have some boxes for purchase. I have found a box of over 25 individual boxes in NOS condition.

thanks for any info
J M Cassiday
yes this is Jonathan Cassiday how may i help you

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: GE Mazda lamps
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 10:52:56 am »
Hi Jonathan,

Do you see a lamp number printed on the packaging anywhere that would indicate what type of lamps these are?  GE was pretty good about this.  If you can find the lamp number then I may be able to look it up in old GE literature and approximate a date.  Also, if you could post a photo of the packaging then it may be helpful as well. 

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 05:01:26 pm »
I do have a number on the inside flap of the box that reads CG 410-D, and the bulbs themselves have Mazda PR10 6v stamped on the base. Taking a closer look at the lamps i find a peculiar feature in the support post of the filiment. One post is longeer, but the filiment is supported at the same spot on both posts. The longer support bends at the point that it connects to the filiment and then exends up tto the tip of the bulb. This bulb was for use in flashlights and has a flanged base with smooth sides. i have never really tried to post pictures on this site, but i may try if i find the time. The box art is quite simular to that used on some of the christmas light bulb boxes and i think it would be the later of all box arts but im still not sure. Thanks for the reply and i hope this info can help in dating the lamps

Joanthan Cassiday

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:30:17 pm »
Hi.
According with your description, it seems to be a regular olive-shaped prefocus lamp. These are characterized by having two unnequally sized lead-in wires, the longer of both goes to acommodate within the top "pip" of the glass envelope, to maintain the filament exactly in place, despite any shock of vibrations that could suffer the lamp or the whole flashlight. Otherwise, if the filament moves or bends by effect of shocks, its precise focus position may change, giving as a result that the beam pattern could be seriously affected or deformed. Furthermore, a solid fixing for the filament helps to avoid (or at least, minimize) any breaking risk of it.
Best regards and happy Hollidays and new year 2006 for everyone.
M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 07:32:18 pm by M?nico Gonz?lez »

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 08:53:25 pm »
Jonathan,

I took a quick scan through my GE miniature lamp catalogs which range from 1941 thru the late 1960s.? Despite several similar lamps being listed, the PR10 is curiously omitted from all of the literature.? I must assume that the PR10 is an earlier form of the lamp that M?nico described and dates before 1941.? Offhand, I don't know the exact date that these lamps were introduced but it would seem that your lamps are probably from the 1930s.

Here's a picture of a PR7
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 08:59:06 pm by tim »

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 08:56:26 am »
that is quite simular to my lamps including the bend above the filiment. As i said earlier the lamps are 6v .50amp and it states on the box that they are for use with five D cell batteriers. I am curious about the post that extends above the filiment, would you know th ereasoning behind this

Thanks for the information
JM Cassiday

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 07:08:52 pm »
Hi Jonathan,
As I described you yesterday, the longest post extends to acommodate within the little protruding tip at the top of the bulb with the sole purpose of mantain the filament exactly centered at the parabolic reflector's focal point despite any vibration or shock that could affect the lamp if the whole flashlight are dropped.
That's similar, but noticeably smaller, to the traditional frame system used to anchor and center arc tubes within the outer envelope of discharge lamps.
It's simply a safety precaution to preserve the filament at the best way.
Regards.
M. Gonz?lez.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 08:15:38 pm »
Thanks for the desc ription, sorry i asked twice, i must have skipped down the screen mistakenly. i find all inforamitn usefull and thank you all again

Jonathan

Offline grunt

• New Member!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 01:15:09 pm »
 this discussion sounds like what I'm looking for,
  I'm looking for the light bulb that goes in a EE-84 signal light.
the light is dated 1942,
 the bulb is marked mazda with a G-8
it has a brass washer soldred around the base with 3 holes for retaining posts,
its a single contact,
probably 6 or 12 volt,  I'm not sure how the battery box is wired,
the box takes 8 D cells, but it also has a relay in it for the telegraph,
part, so I'm thinking thay might have divided the voltage, half for the light and half for the telegraph switching.
the bulb faces backward. and shines on a polished aluminum, parabolic mirror.
any names or leads for this type of bulb would be appreciated
thanks
brian in denver