Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Where to get this unusual bulb?  (Read 22631 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Where to get this unusual bulb?
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:41:56 pm »
Anyone know where these bulbs can be purchased or who manufacturers them?  I'm fairly certain this is a modern made bulb, probably European. 

Offline Nick D.

• 60 watt carbon lamp, cobalt glass
Re: Where to get this unusual bulb?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:50:09 pm »
Neon? I think I have seen similar bulbs (helium, argon etc.) being sold for a lab-type setting though I don't recall exactly where. What would they have been used for?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:13:36 pm »
I should have elaborated.  This is a filament lamp, probably tungsten, and probably intended for decorative purposes.  I?m fairly certain this bulb is of recent design and I?m just wondering where they are available for sale.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:07:57 pm »
Found out this bulb is made by Philips, but apparently it's only available in Europe.  I couldn't find a reseller website in English that sells the bulb.  For anyone interested, here's a Dutch lighting reseller who sells this bulb.

Philips Deco series, 35 watts E27 base, 230 volts, T45 envelope, p/n 8711500055279

http://www.elektro-online.nl/elektro/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=183104

Offline Nick D.

• 60 watt carbon lamp, cobalt glass
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:55 pm »
Strange!  :-o

Offline zorn1

• New Member!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:48:47 pm »
I have a cherished one of these i purchased from a local diy shop years ago they also did this lamp in a globe version in the same gold glass and spiral filament also 35w,it says made in Austria on the lamp.

Offline Howard

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 03:26:22 pm »
Tim,

I've seen these (and the globe shaped version mentioned by Zorn1) in branches of the UK DIY warehouse chain "B&Q", within the last few years.  I can't be more precise - I haven't been into  B&Q for over a year!  When I did see them, they were available with both ES (E27) and BC (B22D) caps, and probably, for the UK, 240V supply.  At that time, B&Q were also selling reproduction carbon filament and drawn tungsten (squirrel cage) bulbs.  I didn't buy any at the time - ?10 seemed a bit too much to pay! :-(

Idea: B&Q have a website - http:\\www.diy.com - I'll go and have a look.  Back in a minute...

I'm back...  Sadly no more.  B&Q list 335 different types of lamp and tube, but none of the above.  B&Q no longer stock Philips lamps.   :-(

Another idea: why not e-mail the Dutch reseller, in English - the Dutch tend to speak better English than the English,  :-) to find out if they'll despatch to the USA?
--
Regards, Howard.
"Is there any tea on this ship?" - Arthur Dent

Offline zorn1

• New Member!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 04:26:07 pm »
I purchased mine about 7 years ago i got 2 for an outside lantern that ran all night.I got the 2 thinking they would not last long being on all night,however the first lamp outlived the light fitting 5 years and the lantern was changed to an energy saving one leaving me with the spare lamp.I have never seen any for sale since and ive never forgiven B&Q for ditching a quality lamp maker for GE.

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:01 am »
Originally these lamps (known as the Deco Spiral) were manufactured by Philips at the Gmunden plant in Austria.  They produced them in both the tubular and a spherical shape bulb.  When Gmunden closed down the machinery was acquired by Luxram in Switzerland.  That company has since changed its name to Righi Licht, see www.righi-licht.ch
Righi continues to manufacture these lamps for both Philips and Paulmann.  Last year they introduced a new version with the spiral filament mounted horizontally in an A-shape bulb, intended to mimic the carbon filament lamps which Philips stopped producing a couple of years ago.  You can find all three versions in pretty much any good DIY or electrical store across Europe, typically they retail for around ?7 each.

Offline adam2

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 04:15:48 am »
Tim,
Another idea: why not e-mail the Dutch reseller, in English - the Dutch tend to speak better English than the English,  :-) to find out if they'll despatch to the USA?

That might not help much, for the European market these lamps will be 220/240 volt.
In the USA they use 120 volts for lighting (most buildings also have either 208 volts or 240 volts available, but the electrical code prohibits lighting at more 120 volts, at least in homes and similar)

Offline Howard

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:05:46 am »
@James

That might not help much, for the European market these lamps will be 220/240 volt.
In the USA they use 120 volts for lighting (most buildings also have either 208 volts or 240 volts available, but the electrical code prohibits lighting at more 120 volts, at least in homes and similar)

Valid points, but probably irrelevant!  Presuming that Tim wants this as a collectors item, he won't be lighting it very often, and probably from a step-up transformer, in the same manner as European collectors use step-down transformers to light American (or other) 120 volt lamps.

@Tim

Did you pursue thsi with the Dutch supplier? - Just curious.
--
Regards, Howard.

Offline Howard

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:19:10 am »
OOPS!  Wrong attribution in my previous post: first part should be @Adam2.
I'm in too much of a hurry and not used to posting to web-based bulletin boards (my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
--
Regards, Howard.