Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Is this light bulb ?  (Read 24073 times)

Offline FRANCO.M

Is this light bulb ?
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:18:48 pm »
Hallo !
There is now on Ebay.it this light bulb.
But is this a light bulb ?
Title of auction: VECCHIA RARA LAMPADINA DA COLLEZIONE ADRIA 0,5 AMPERE LAMPADA SMONTABILE 1950.

Offline Howard

Re: Is this light bulb ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:10:17 pm »
Yes, it is.

It's a "Nernst lamp", named after its inventor, Walther Nernst, a German scientist, who developed it in 1897.
Search for "Nernst lamp" on the internet for information on how it works and lots of pictures.

The pictures on eBay (item no. 221410452561) are bigger than those you've posted, and there is enough detail to suggest
that this lamp may be still functional.  The seller states the lamp is English, which I doubt, from the style of the markings on the cap.
The seller also dates the lamp as 1950; however it is much earlier, possibly 1905, making the seller's date as typing error.
There is a YouTube video showing one of these lamps lit.  The description gives the date as 1905, and the maker, Adria, as Austrian.
The video was posted by a member of this group, Stanislav Slabyhoudek.  There is a link to his collector's site in the links section on this site.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:48:39 pm by Howard »
--
Regards, Howard.
"Is there any tea on this ship?" - Arthur Dent

Offline FRANCO.M

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »
Good morning.
Thank you for your response.
I did not know anything about this light bulb and its inventor.
is truly amazing!
I hope that the bulb is working, I will ship as soon as new photographs when will be turned on.
greetings Franco.m

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:36:44 pm »
I really would feel as a lucky man if I were found such an specimen of Nernst lamp like this one. Congratulations!.
If the heater, burner, solenoid and ballast are in good condition, you really are very fortunate. I hope you will can test it, obviously using the common cautions i.e. apliying only the nominal voltage, to avoid damaging it.
Although the date of 1950 that seller have attributed to this lamp is obviously incorrect, because Nernst lamps are dated from turn of century time as much, as Tim have said you. Probably if the lamp was enclosed in any kind of box or carboard envelope, perhaps someone wrote the date when that was kept in a safe place, not the real age of the lamp. It's only a speculation from my part.
Regards,
M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:39:22 pm by M?nico Gonz?lez »