Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: anyone know?  (Read 17794 times)

Offline STARMAN

anyone know?
« on: August 09, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »
just found a set of lights look like xmas lights but i doubt it, 12 in total U.K. make, they seem to have nursery captions on them, anyone recall them? will post a picture tomorrow of them all lit bar one bulb and bell missing, -------------------light fitment there justs needs a new bulb sadly the bell type case is missing.

Offline STARMAN

Re: anyone know?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:43:27 pm »
have attached lights anyone know anything about them age etc. i need a spare bulb have attached pic of that, anyone help U.K. made.

Offline jonathan cassiday

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »
looks like it was made by noma because of the berry beads above each socket and looks to be a sieries burning set with miniture based c-6 bulbs, probably about 20 v each if intended to run of 240 V
yes this is Jonathan Cassiday how may i help you

Offline STARMAN

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:14:30 pm »
what age are we talking about and value?

Offline Howard

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:24:22 pm »
looks like it was made by noma because of the berry beads above each socket and looks to be a sieries burning set with miniture based c-6 bulbs, probably about 20 v each if intended to run of 240 V

Not NOMA; most probably Osram (GEC) or Mazda (Thorn) branded - they both (among others) licensed the "berry beads" in the UK.  Both companies produced sets like this with nursery rhyme captions, as did Pifco. but Pico's bulbholders were different.  They were intended for Christmas use - or at any other time, according to box my Osram set came in!  A good guide to the maker will be the maker's name stamped on the bulb caps.  The plastic insulation on the wiring suggests that these were made in the mid to late 1950s - any earlier and the wiring would have textile braided rubber insulation - any later I would remember seeing these in the shops!  The bulbs are 20-volt 3-watt (150mA), probably not permanent contact.  These sets and used bulbs turn up on eBay UK quite often.  NOS bulbs are less common.  I'm sorry for being a bit vague at the moment - I'm in the midst of rebuilding my computer and using daughter's, so can't get to my eBay purchase data and pictures; and being temporarily confined to a wheelchair stops my going up to the loft to look at the real thing.  Hope this helps. 
--
Regards, Howard.
"Is there any tea on this ship?" - Arthur Dent

Offline STARMAN

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:18:43 am »
thanks for reply howard have looked and can only find these attched, they do look very similar except for the old wiring.

Offline STARMAN

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:09:58 am »
took a magnifying glass to the bulb osram 20v so your right howard well done, any clue as to value of set 11 working bulbs and shades one missing?

Offline STARMAN

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:54:17 am »
hello is there anyone out there is there only me and Howard on this forum lol

Offline Christmas Lamp

• Purple Bubble Light
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »
I'm Here... I Just don't have any Info for you at the moment... Sorry....
I love Any Bulbs be They the Light up kind or the kind that Grows!!!

Offline Howard

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
@starman,

Don't panic!  There are lots of people reading who aren't posting.  That's always the way.  I only post when the muse takes me; and then only when I feel I can contribute something positive to the discussion.  I'll post some pictures of some of my "Nursery Figure" sets later today along with what I paid for them, to give you an idea of value.  Saying that, the value is what the item is worth to YOU, ie how much YOU're prepared to pay.  It's late now.  I've been sitting in this *****y wheelchair for too long.  I'm going to bed; no more posting tonight!
--
Regards, Howard.
"Is there any tea on this ship?" - Arthur Dent

Offline G7OLT

• New Member!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:10:29 pm »
Hi,

I'm one of those lurkers.  This is my first post so please forgive me if it doesn't work properly. 

Here's some pictures from a couple of my sets that are like STARMAN's.  They're running at circa 160 volts instead of the specified 240v, partly because they're still in the box and partly to prolong bulb life.  The first (powered) set is from the late 1940s and the second from the 1950s where the box design has been revised. Neither box is in great condition. The shades in the earlier set are made from a slightly thicker plastic than those in the second, the holes in the top are also larger.  I've seen these lights under the Osram, Mazda and Cryselco brand names.

I suggest you buy some 15v 3w C6 lamps from Lionsden (often mentioned on here) and run the chain of 11 at 120v - the bulbs should last a long time.   :-)

Regards,

--
Ian
--
Ian E (g7olt)

Offline STARMAN

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 07:35:55 pm »
have decided to put them up for auction to see what they can achieve thanks anyway to all that answered, Howard sorry to hear of your condition, hope you get better.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130326726719&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT