Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Newbe with a couple of questions  (Read 6878 times)

Offline herbert

• New Member!
Newbe with a couple of questions
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:51:49 am »
Hi there,
Without boring you all with the motivation (yet) I think I am on the verge of starting a new hobby - collecting old (British) Christmas lights; and I have a couple of questions for those here who are far more knowledgeable than myself.

Firstly. At first glance (and I freely admit to having broken the rule of joining a forum of reading thoroughly before contributing) this one seems to be largely US based. Is there a UK 'branch' or equivalent anywhere?

Secondly. I recently purchased a set of lights unlike any other I have seen. Rather than being wired in series (most of my sets are 12 bulb 240 volt UK), this one consists of 8 holders (mes like my other sets) wired in parallel, and with spade connectors at the terminations. The holders are the green porcelein type and the wire seems to be more like the material covered type which I believe was used in the 1920's. Can anyone shed any light on what this set is? I have never come across small decorative bulbs running at 240 volt (or even 110 if these are American), and if there were such things then this would be a remarkably dangerous set to run. I am assuming that these probably took a standard 20 or 15 volt lamp and were run off a transformer.Either way if these are old then they are in pretty much unused condition. The wiring is perfect, even where it enters the holders.
Sorry I don't have a shot of them yet. Any ideas please?

Best wishes Herbert

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: Newbe with a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 03:48:18 pm »
Hi Herbert,

Thanks for joining and welcome to the forum.  Yes, this site is based in the US, however there are collectors from all over the world that participate.  The forum is open to anyone and there are a number of Christmas light collectors on here based in the UK to discuss things with.