Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Royal bubble light stands  (Read 18556 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Royal bubble light stands
« on: June 20, 2000, 09:37:00 pm »
I've noticed a lot of Royal bakelite bubble light stands popping up - anyone know how to tell a reproduction stand from a valueable original? I'd like to purchase a nice original but I'm skeptical about them all now with the inroduction of the repros. I would also like to know what the rarest colors are and what the most common colors are. Any help appreciated!

------------------
-Tim

Offline Bill Nelson

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2000, 10:29:00 pm »
Hi, Tim!  Glad to be a new member of your forum!  The repro bubble light stands do not have the "Made by Royal" cardboard bottom cover, and the wiring in these stands is new vinyl covered rather than the older cloth or rubber. Also, the cords on the new stands are much longer than the originals- 9 feet long as opposed to the original 5 foot length. Additionally, the sockets on the originals are permanently inserted from the top, whereas the repro stands have their sockets attached from the bottom. To my knowledge, the rarest color is green. I've seen these stands in red, green and marbled white/beige. The green sells for more than $500.00, with the others bringing prices in the $300.00 range. The stands were originally packed with 9 Royal "crown" style bubblelights with base colors EXACTLY matching the stand they were packed with. Examples in good condition, with all original lights will bring the prices I've mentioned above. Hope this helps!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2000, 05:48:00 pm »
Bill,

I appreciate the reply - lots of useful information there. Reproductions always scare me and I think it's good to get the word out to others who may not know any better - like me  

------------------
-Tim

Offline William Oelker

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2000, 08:54:00 pm »
Tim I was lucky enough last year to purchase a red Royal Bubble Light display at an esate auction. It came with the original cardboard box abd I had to replace all the bubble lights. It was like new and I had to repair one socket insert. I haven't seen any of the new repro's only oldies. Love this web page its a beauty...         Bill

quote:
Originally posted by tim:
I've noticed a lot of Royal bakelite bubble light stands popping up - anyone know how to tell a reproduction stand from a valueable original? I'd like to purchase a nice original but I'm skeptical about them all now with the inroduction of the repros. I would also like to know what the rarest colors are and what the most common colors are. Any help appreciated!

Offline Bob Masters

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2000, 06:23:00 am »
Can anyone post a picture of one of these sets ? They sound kinda neat and I was wondering what they look like.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2000, 12:26:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by William Oelker:
Tim I was lucky enough last year to purchase a red Royal Bubble Light display at an esate auction. It came with the original cardboard box abd I had to replace all the bubble lights. It was like new and I had to repair one socket insert. I haven't seen any of the new repro's only oldies. Love this web page its a beauty...         Bill

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the nice words about the web site!

For Bob, I don't have a good picture of this stand, but here's an auction that has one pictured - original one I think:
 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=417853645&ed=967662636

And here's the new version:
 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=434544428

They kinda remind me of the old catalin radios - eye candy!

------------------
-Tim

Offline Bob Masters

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2000, 12:39:00 pm »
Thanks Tim ! I've never seen anything like those. Hmmmmmmm........I'll have to keep my eyes peeled now, seeing what they're worth on EBAY.

Offline HOLAUCTION

• New Member!
    • http://WWW.CHRISTMASLIGHTS.CC   &   HTTP://MEMBERS.AOL.COM/HOLAUCTION/INDEX.HTML
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2000, 08:58:00 am »
quote:
Originally posted by tim:

AS THE MAKER OF THE NEW STANDS I CAN TELL YOU THE FOLLOWING.  THE COLORS OF THE NEW STANDS WERE INTENTIONALLY MADE VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE OLD ONES.  THIS WAS DONE TO AVOID CONFUSION.  THE NEW COLORS, ROYAL BLUE, FRENCH VANILLA, BLACK ONYX, HALLOWEEN ORANGE, PEPPERMINT, SPEARMINT, LIQUID GOLD, AND CHRISTMAS SPARKLE; LOOK NOTHING LIKE THE COLORS USED BY ROYAL, RED, GREEN, AND MARBELIZED.  ALSO, TO CORRECT ONE ITEM I HAVE READ HERE, THE SOCKETS ARE INSERTED FROM THE TOP, NOT THE BOTTOM, AND IF IN ANY DOUBT, ALL THE REPRODUCTIONS ARE MARKED WITH THE "REPROCO" TRADEMARK ON THE BOTTOM SIDE OF THE PLASTIC, AN R INSIDE A TRIANGLE.  ALL PRODUCTS WHICH WE MAKE ARE MADE TO HAVE VERY MANY DISTINCTIONS FROM OLDER ITEMS, WE DO NOT WANT TO HAVE ANY OF OUR PRODUCTS MISREPRESENTED AS OLD.  IF I CAN HELP FURTHER, PLEASE EMAIL ME.