Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me about these bulbs?  (Read 8487 times)

Offline Sova

• New Member!
Can anyone tell me about these bulbs?
« on: March 19, 2019, 12:01:39 pm »
 I was hoping someone can tell me something about the bulbs I have in the attached picture.  The smaller bulb measures approx. 4.75" Tall by 2.37" in diameter.  It was in the attic of my grandparents house which was built in the 1920's.  It looks identical to the new Edison bulbs that can be found in today's home improvement stores. The bigger tipped bulb measures 7.5" Tall by 4.75" diameter.  It has a reflector in it and a coiled filament.  I was given this bulb by my grandparents neighbor whose house was built prior to my grandparents in early 1900.  Both bulbs still light.  Can you tell me the types of bulbs these are and whether they have any value.  Thank you  Al

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
Re: Can anyone tell me about these bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 02:31:41 pm »
Dear Sova,
I recognise the lamp on the left hand side in your photo - this is a Gilmore Lamp.  It is quite distinctive because of its internal metal reflector inside the bulb, and its purpose was to shine a greater proportion of its light downwards when suspended from the ceiling.  I do not have much more detail about this lamp, but it is a carbon filament type and I suspect that it was probably made around 1900-1910.  Since it has a quite unique design there is probably a patent on it which would allow more precise identification of its age and the manufacturer.  I already have one but I am sure it would be of interest to other lamp collectors.
The other lamp is a relatively modern tungsten filament type of little value, probably made in the late 1910s or early 1920s.