Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: MASSIVE Bulb Collection Donated to Museum!?!?!  (Read 8342 times)

Offline ALM

MASSIVE Bulb Collection Donated to Museum!?!?!
« on: May 01, 2003, 10:46:00 pm »
Maybe someone more 'in the know' than I can clue me in on the details, assuming they are true.  Some of you know I am a novice collector (fans, bulbs, and just got my first few toy steam engines), I do some buying and selling to support my habit, and always follow information on the various forums.  Along the way, I have had the GREAT fortune of chatting with some of you on a rather regular basis and many have helped me with information and interesting educational bits.  Additionally, some folks I simply know by a username and a passing email or two.

Anyhooooooo, I heard this story from an engine collector and wonder if anybody can give me actual details.  There was a guy who had a really fine bulb collection who died recently.  (I'm guessing it was Dr. Hicks because I thought I read he died relatively recently.)  Almost immediately, it is alleged, some "less than reputable" bulb collector and his compadre (or compadres) tried to get their hands on the collection.  Their aggressiveness and persistence was allegedly SO insensitive that the estate's heirs decided to actually GIVE the collection to a museum rather than sell it to these guys.  The whole kit'n'kaboodle!!!  (This dude claims that the collection was of some of the rarest-birds and scarcest of puppies... and was worth in dollar value... perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars OR MORE!)

Furthermore, the museum they donated it to is an actual, bonafide, real museum, not one of these phony living room affairs named after a river, an animal, or some location.  In addition, and I know, if true, this is of MAJOR interest to anyone with even a cursory interest in bulbs (and associated gadgetry), the museum is actually open to the public and has legal non profit status!  The heirs were supposed to have had some sort of invitation only showing recently before the collection was moved.

Second-hand information, folks.  I cannot substantiat ANY of this, but someone who runs more regularly in these circles MUST HAVE THE DETAILS and I pray you are willing to confirm or refute this story!  I'm giddy with excitement at the chance of seeing a cache like this!

If this is indeed true, there is a lesson to be learned - if your passion for collecting is so intense that you treat your fellow man like the dirt that has dried and crusted in the soles of your workboots, then you deserve what you get.

Hook me up, collectors!  Gimme some confirmation or refute this rather intriguing story!!!  I'd love to know if it was, in fact, Hicks' collection (if not, who's was it), and to what museum this was donated.

[This message has been edited by ALM (edited May 01, 2003).]

Offline Chip Crider

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 02:43:00 am »
[Yes indeed, the collection was donated to the Baltimore Museum of Industry. Here is a link with the details: http://www.thebmi.org/press_lighting.html  
I had the honor of attending the Saturday reception. Only one other collector was there; the rest consisted of friends and family. I do not know firsthand the gorey details of how Hick's daughters came to their decision but, knowing the cast of stars, I can only imagine. It was a pleasure to meet them and to know that there still are some people strong enough to resist fistfulls of money and do in their heart what they believe is right. I had never seen the collection before and I am sorry to say that a number of items that show in photos of the collection taken in 1999 were no longer present (now who do you suppose would be responsible for that?). However, there was still a good selection of rare and unusual pieces  includingthe DIEHL induction lamp and early Edison pieces. Some of the Smithsonian people were there as well. I learned that the Smithsonian is not allowed to do anything that might damage an artifact - like light it, run it, or sometimes even display it. Other museums are not bound by such restrictions so the BMI might actually be able to light some of Hick's more common bulbs.
I regret not having made it to Dr. Hick's before the collection started shrinking. It was a realy nifty display in a sweet location.
Events like this should make all of us stop and consider how we are conducting our lives and treating our fellow man. The best to all of you, and may there be enough bulbs to go around.... Chip

Offline ALM

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 08:29:00 am »
That's great news!  Baltimore is close!!!  Thank you for the confirmation.

Offline cmshapiro

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 12:06:00 am »
i am very glad to hear the the dheil bulb was there, but of particular interest is this. The dheil lamp that Dr. Hicks had had an open tip, with the top filled with some sort of material, bot sealed off in the normal fashion. It was donated to him in the display seen in the museum by Dheils daughter. On jerry westlicks site, i see he now supposedly owns that bulb. I bet he traded his lamp with hicks, did the one there recently have a closed tip? When attending Dr. Hicks wake ceremony, both westlick and his side kick bill anderson were in atendance, and from what i senced were on good terms with Hicks' daughters. Of course i knew what that was all for. Im not surprised to hear how agressive they are. Sone things never change. As a regular visitor and friend of Dr. Hicks, i witnessed very closely the discusting ways aquisition of his collection were persued, it was like a game to "these people". I am more than pleased to see the collection go to a good place. There was truly a special vibe to the museum. It was sort of a time capsule. It changed very little from when it opened in 1962 and current. Yet it was full of items much older. Walking down in that basement was sort of a relief from the modern world(especialy the baltimore city world), as you could have been in that base ment in anytime in the last 30 years and it would have looked and felt the same. Kind of hard to explain. you kind of had to be there several times to realy sence how cool the place was. Truly an experience. The museum will be missed, however i am very happy to see it fall into good hands, when i sort of expected the worst.

[This message has been edited by cmshapiro (edited May 03, 2003).]

Offline Bill Anderson

• http://www.earlytech.org
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 08:07:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by cmshapiro:
When attending Dr. Hicks wake ceremony, both westlick and his side kick bill anderson were in atendance, and from what i senced were on good terms with Hicks' daughters. Of course i knew what that was all for. Im not surprised to hear how agressive they are. Sone things never change. As a regular visitor and friend of Dr. Hicks, i witnessed very closely the discusting ways aquisition of his collection were persued, it was like a game to "these people".

[This message has been edited by cmshapiro (edited May 03, 2003).]

Chad Shapiro should be ashamed of himself using this forum to post personal attacks. He doesn't know me yet insinuates that I attended Dr. Hick's funeral somehow in an attempt to acquire light bulbs - how disgusting. I was a friend of Dr. Hicks and visited him and his wonderful museum often. I came to his funeral to pay my respects and I miss him dearly.

For the record, I never made any attempt (directly or indirectly) to acquire bulbs from Dr. Hick's daughters and I am very happy that his collection was donated to the Baltimore Museum.

Let's use this forum to post about our passion, light bulbs and not insults.