Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Do All Bubble Light Trees Have Bases?  (Read 11473 times)

Offline Bousquet

Do All Bubble Light Trees Have Bases?
« on: January 01, 2001, 01:21:00 am »
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a bubble light tree I've been eyeing.  It has about 18-22 lights but no base.  Instead, the branch material and sockets are attached to a metal cone painted in green enamel.  Is the usual plaster or wood base missing, or do these trees just lack bases?

Also, what do you think about using clear plastic spray paint to retard shedding?

Thanks,
Woody

Offline William Oelker

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2001, 09:46:00 am »
Hi, I bought a 9 lighter just like you described 2 days ago. I have a 18 lighter that has a plastic table base on it. I am not a expert on these things, but I would steer clear of the paint spray as it might chemically react with the paper needles on it now. I am planning on re-brushing this 9 lighter at a latter date as it has a shedding problem also. Right now it will remain as is and I will think about how to rstore it to its original beauty. Good Luck if you buy it. Bill

Offline Bousquet

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2001, 11:29:00 am »
Thanks, William, for your replies to both Qs about these trees.  FYI, The Glow had an article about 12 yrs ago re. restoring bubble light trees that might help both of us.

A follow-up Q to you (and others who might read this post):  What does the bottom of the "cone" that holds the lights and branches look like when you remove it from its base?  (Again, I'm still trying to determine whether the corrugated rim of the enameled green cone of the BL tree I described is the true base, or whether some sort of pedestal-like stand is missing.)