Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: compact fluorescent question  (Read 33648 times)

Offline mr_big

Re: compact fluorescent question
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 11:15:25 am »
which company are you talking about they are both from different companies

Offline Carl Wright

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 03:46:16 pm »
I was referring to the Feit Electric Compact Fluorescent Bulb.                                                                         

Offline mr_big

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2005, 03:50:57 pm »
I don't know that bulb was about 5 years old and run every day for about 9 hours
I have had bad luck with GE bulbs
I have had relatively good luck with The Feit Electric Bulbs
I have one of their compact fluorescent bulbs in my kitchen and it is still going good after three years

Offline Carl Wright

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 04:11:37 pm »
I think compact fluorescent are getting better but their bad batches of these lamps. I remember the first round fluorescent that I put into a table lamp. It did not last very long and did not have much light output. The circular ceiling fixtures have a much better life. So I think it is the ballast that has failed and not the bulb.

Carl

Offline pSlawinski

• Westinghouse Lamps
    • Metal-Halide.net
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 05:10:10 pm »
I like the Commercial Electric CFLs sold at Home Depot.  From my experience they seem to be pretty good lamps.  The first time you start them they take about a minute to warm up, but after that point they start almost instantly.  Life has yet to be seen, I have only had these lamps for a few months.
http://www.metal-halide.net/index.php?id=gallery&cat=Fluorescent&scat=CFL&bulb=EDXO-18-19

I have some Sylvania Daylight Extra lamps.  They are quite nice as well.  These lamps started almost instantly out of the box.  They seem to be holding up quite well, there is no visible blackening yet.
http://www.metal-halide.net/index.php?id=gallery&cat=Fluorescent&scat=CFL&bulb=CF13EL-MINITWIST-DAY

Offline mr_big

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 06:03:49 pm »
I have used those sylvania daylight bulbs before They are not my particular favorite mine died within several seconds of smoke and a bright orange glow in the base

Offline pSlawinski

• Westinghouse Lamps
    • Metal-Halide.net
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 06:10:11 pm »
I think you might have a wiring fault or something.  I have about 10 of those lamps and not a single one had a problem.  Have you checked the voltage to your sockets/outlets?  Maybe it's just a coincidence, but with all those lamps dying prematurely I have to think there is something going on with your wiring.  I could be wrong and you are just good at picking out lemons lol.

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 01:16:40 pm »
This is typical of many Chinese made compact fluorescent lamps.  All of the Feit, GE and Philips spiral CFL lamps are being sourced in from Chinese factories now, and all show these defects from time to time.

The Spiral tube CFL, though small, is a remarkably bad creation.  No reputable CFL factory anywhere is making them with the exception of German firm Narva.  The problem on these tubes is getting good phosphor coating thickess control.  If you coat the tubes before bending, the phosphor deteriorates dramatically when the glass is melted and spiralled.  If you coat the tubes after bending then the liquid coating suspension falls under gravity and you get a much thicker coating on the underside of each spiral than above, it is not possible to achieve the uniform optimum thickness.

James

Offline mr_big

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 04:56:33 pm »
I am now using a sylvania daylight compact fluorescent bulb in the lamp by my computer I think I might have got a good one but it is only a couple of months old and the one of the ends of the lamp has been getting dark

Offline mr_big

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 02:05:11 pm »
The Sylvania daylight was broken when my cat knocked my lamp off of my table

Offline mr_big

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 02:07:20 pm »
I think you might have a wiring fault or something.? I have about 10 of those lamps and not a single one had a problem.? Have you checked the voltage to your sockets/outlets?? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but with all those lamps dying prematurely I have to think there is something going on with your wiring.? I could be wrong and you are just good at picking out lemons lol.
I think I just get lemons every time and as for the wiring problem the voltage was 130 volts last time I looked although I don't think this would cause any problems with compact fluorescent bulbs but I am really not sure