Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Bug lites  (Read 7913 times)

Offline Scott

Bug lites
« on: October 15, 2000, 09:37:00 pm »
Is there any truth to this? I've heard that green light will keep spiders and other bugs away. A friend of mine was telling me about this,that he read an article on it some time back,that an ordinary 25 watt green "party bulb" will do the job. Anyone else heard about this, or tried it? Just curious.

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Bug lites
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2000, 03:33:00 pm »
Hi,

I`m not sure it works- you see, I`ve got a flourescent light fixture on top of my wardrobe (it brightens up the otherwise dark corner of the room) and it has a green coloured filter wrapped around it. It`s often left on for long periods and during the summer evenings I saw loads of those horrible little flies buzzing round it- there`s even a spider or 2 living up there, probably capitalizing on all those flies- lots for it to eat!
So anyway, going by all that I`d say it`s not true. But maybe there`s some other characteristic of flourescent light that flies find attractive, UV light getting through the green filter perhaps? I`m not sure. Maybe I should try a regular green "party lite" bulb up there, I`ve got one round here somewhere I`m sure...

------------------

-chris

http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/chrismillinship

Offline Scott

Bug lites
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2000, 10:20:00 am »
Bugs love UV-which is why bug zappers use fluorescent blacklights.A friend of mine says green light of any kind may attract bugs-he has a flea trap which is nothing more than a green Christmas tree bulb in front of some sticky paper. You simply place the things on the floor,and plug 'em in. The yellow "bug lites" you buy for outdoor fixtures really don't work when it comes to keeping bugs away,either.