Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: What kind of bulb do I have?  (Read 13131 times)

Offline deogee13

• New Member!
What kind of bulb do I have?
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »
I have bought what is marked as an original T Edison light bulb with a switch on the bulb itself at the base where the base and glass meet. What do I have here? Rare? IF someone would like to see a photo or a short video of the bulb, I will make that available. I bought this at an auction this weekend from a small town museum that sold everything. Did I buy a gem? I can't find any information on this type of Edison bulb. (Or is it not an Edison? I will have to look at the markings and the minute piece of sticker on the bulb when I have a chance) Not Google... Not E-bay no info anywhere...Somebody talk to me. Thoughts? Thanks. Deogee13

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: What kind of bulb do I have?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:14:16 am »
Hi - please post clear pictures here of the bulb and the bulb's base showing the switching mechanism.  Remember to keep the filesize of each picture under 196kb otherwise the forum won't allow you to upload the picture.  Without seeing the bulb, it's impossible to answer any of your questions.

Offline deogee13

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:44:18 pm »
Ok. Let me try this again.  Here is the information I have pulled from the bulb. There is a piece of paper in the glass tube where the filaments protrude from. On this paper is a photo of a bulb and on side is sez: ?The manufacturer of this lamp is Licensed under patents noted on the other side?  On the other side are dates and to the best of my eye there are.  In large text> Jan 22, 1895  In smaller text, the  dates are April 16 1895.  Jan 19 1897, April 28 1903, Nov 8 1904, April 27 1909, April 30 1909.  There is also the code: NP6442..   On one side of the tube is the # 5 (watts?)  There are some other 4 digits codes that I can not make out at this time. When you turn on this light, a lower middle element lights up. When you move the switch, the upper bigger element lights also.  (2 stage bulb?)  I do NOT know what brand this bulb is. I have viewed hundreds of bulbs, both here on this site and others and have fold NO match. Any help from the experts here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  Craig Clark.  Other additional posts follow with additional pics.

Offline deogee13

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:48:12 pm »
Additional pics

Offline deogee13

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:49:27 pm »
Additional pics

Offline deogee13

• New Member!
What kind of buld do I have?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:50:49 pm »
Additional pics

Offline deogee13

• New Member!
What kind of buld do I have?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:52:14 pm »
Additional pics

Offline deogee13

• New Member!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 12:30:13 am »
Tim? Anyone? any idea what I have here?  Thanks... Craig ;)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:54:48 am »
Thanks for posting the photos.  To answer your question - this is not an original Edison light bulb (in fact, exclude "Edison" from this bulb's description).  These are commonly known as "HILO" or "HYLO" type bulbs.  Your bulb was made by Economical, probably circa 1901.  I wouldn't classify the bulb as being "rare" and it probably has a value of around $15-$20?  Rather than repeating it here, I replied to another thread recently about these bulbs:

http://bulbcollector.com/forum/index.php?topic=1255.0

Here's a rather scarce version of this bulb in red glass:

http://bulbcollector.com/gateway/Incandescent_Lamps/Carbon_Filament/1881-1900/Economical/image/c0107.jpg