Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Found this in my garden!  (Read 9940 times)

Offline Jasper

• New Member!
Found this in my garden!
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:31:13 pm »
Hello...
I never thought i'd be posting a thread about a light bulb on the internet.  However, today i saw what looked like one of my son's marbles in the garden...most of it was still under the dirt.  But when i went to pick it up i saw that it was a light bulb!  And it's miniature...measures 1 1/8" long from top of bulb to end of pointy tip. (see attached)

Is this an antique light bulb?  My husband has found very old medicine bottles, and such, on our property in the past...but this is unique.  And i'm amazed that the bulb is still in one piece!

If anyone has any information on what i found it would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Jasper, from northern Michigan

Offline gnildir1

• Gnildir's web
Re: Found this in my garden!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:28:31 am »
It looks like either an old bike-light or one of those spherical Christmas lights.
Without Edison, where would we be at today?

Offline Nick D.

• 60 watt carbon lamp, cobalt glass
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:41:47 pm »
The tip looks unusually long... I can't see how a base would fit over it!  :-o

Offline VenterFarms

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:16:55 pm »
Jasper,

I found one JUST like this in MY garden! My husband was digging a spot for our compost place, near our barn and it was way down in the dirt. Like you, I thought it was an old marble, but low and behold, it was the same light bulb as yours. I noticed the filiment is intact and that the two metal prongs are joined by white ceramic or glass at the base before it goes down into the point.  Also, I noticed the glass has a lot of air bubbles and definitely appears to be blown - I am in North Georgia, dont know if location holds any significance.

My farm (we just bought in July) was bought by a man in the 1940's but the home that is here was built in 1922. So, Im trying to figure out what this was for... Im thinking something to do with garden or farm equipment because of the likeness of our finding. I've also found a couple of old medicine bottles .. dark brown -almost opaque glass. Unfortunately the mouth has been broken off so its kinda hard to date them.  Did you ever find out anything about the bulb?

THanks!!!

Alice

Hello...
I never thought i'd be posting a thread about a light bulb on the internet.  However, today i saw what looked like one of my son's marbles in the garden...most of it was still under the dirt.  But when i went to pick it up i saw that it was a light bulb!  And it's miniature...measures 1 1/8" long from top of bulb to end of pointy tip. (see attached)

Is this an antique light bulb?  My husband has found very old medicine bottles, and such, on our property in the past...but this is unique.  And i'm amazed that the bulb is still in one piece!

If anyone has any information on what i found it would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Jasper, from northern Michigan