Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: er, let`s see....  (Read 26488 times)

Offline Chris W. Millinship

er, let`s see....
« on: July 23, 2000, 12:02:00 pm »

These should flash....

...but they don`t, so it seems like GIF animations don`t work here, never mind!(incidentally this bit should be in red?)

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited August 04, 2000).]

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
er, let`s see....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2000, 12:52:00 pm »
My animated GIF seems to work. I bet your's won't animate because of Photopoint. The advert they put at the top of the pictures probably messes it up if I had to guess.

------------------
-Tim

[This message has been edited by tim (edited July 23, 2000).]

er, let`s see....
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2000, 03:43:00 pm »
Those Photopoint messages weren`t there to begin with, they never are just after I post a picture. The GIFs didn`t work then either. Maybe Photopoint doesn`t support them...  

One qustion-how`d you make your own GIFs? Special bit of software perhaps?

Another question- any chance of a list of common colours, and their associated number(for html), ie red=FF0000, etc...

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited July 23, 2000).]

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
er, let`s see....
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2000, 05:51:00 pm »
I've been using Paintshop Pro's Animated GIF program (came free with PSP 5). For more info see http://www.jasc.com

Another good one I was using for a while was GIF Construction Set (was shareware). If you hit the search engines you should find it easily.

RE: Photopoint, yes they have a special routine that automatically places their advertisiment at the top of your pictures. It's something that's automatically added to every picture when you upload which is why their service is free.

RE: Color codes, there's a slick little program I use to figure this out called Spectroscope. You can download it here:
 http://www.headoffice.co.uk/download.htm

------------------
-Tim

er, let`s see....
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2000, 06:20:00 pm »
Thanks for the links. I`ve downloaded a copy of "Jasc Animation Shop", on a 30-day free trial. And spectroscope is freeware outright(I think it`s great as you can probably tell!).
I`ve produced a couple of working GIF anims, but obviously I can`t post them here, unless I can find another free host that supports them.
PS I`ll not be posting all my messages in rainbow colours like this!

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited July 24, 2000).]

Offline Ed Covington

• http://www.frognet.net/~ejcov/
er, let`s see....
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2000, 04:33:00 pm »
Chris, are you aware of Webmonkey? Type in  (http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/html_cheatsheet/) and then click on color codes.

er, let`s see....
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2000, 11:33:00 am »
UPDATE- since I`m now hosting my pics with honesty, I can now post one of my homebrew GIFs, on a similar theme to Tim`s one.....

er, let`s see....
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2001, 07:37:00 pm »

Just checking a new image host....
 http://electriclights.tripod.com/

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited February 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited February 05, 2001).]

Offline Max

• 100W cleartop mercury lamp during run-up
    • the Lamp Review
er, let`s see....
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2002, 12:55:00 pm »
just an essay:

[This message has been edited by Max (edited July 27, 2002).]

er, let`s see....
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2002, 03:35:00 pm »
Max, unfortunately as you`re using Yahoo Geosities as your host, that image will never show up. They block outside linking to images hosted on their web space. It`s exceedingly annoying, but that`s Yahoo for you....

I hear a good place to host pictures is at the free ImageStation ( http://imagestation.com  ) . Not used it myself but it comes reccomended by people on other DBs that I frequent. Just set your album to "public" and you should be able to directly post the pictures here or anywhere else.

------------------
visit my world of electrical things that glow!

Offline Hemingray

• Lightbulb Junkie
er, let`s see....
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2002, 11:05:00 pm »
posting to store my login info

Offline Hemingray

• Lightbulb Junkie
er, let`s see....
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2002, 10:13:00 pm »
Once again, my stupid butt hosed the OS :\

Offline Yoshi

er, let`s see....
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 02:57:00 pm »
I know how you can use direct-linking with any host, including geocities, tripod, angelfire, etc... All you need to do is to change the extensions to txt. Let's say you want to link to cool-lightbulb.jpg; Well, you would only need to rename that to cool-lightbulb.txt . That's how I have been adding images to my posts. As you can see, they are hosted on tripod! This is because txt files are like html documents: Direct linking is a must for these filetypes, otherwise they would be unviewable!

You need to be able to see the extensions in order to change them. If you have them hidden (which by the way is a really bad idea concerning security), just "un-hide" them by clicking on folder options>view (the folder options link is on one of the folder menus, it varies from OS to OS). Then uncheck the box that says "hide file extensions for known file types".

Why is it a bad idea to hide the extensions? Because it would be far easier to fool you into opening a virus or trojan horse. You know, programs can have any icon that the creator wants them to have, but he cannot change the extension or he will render his virus useless. Would you double click on a file that has an image icon? How can you tell if it's not a virus/trojan without looking at its extension? Remember that antivirus software is not fail proof! If an antivirus program does not have a certain virus registered in its DATs, it won't detect it. (which is why it is very important to download the latest virus definitions).

The extension tells the computer with what program to open a certain file, according to its register of programs and their associations. For example, when you install Microsoft Word, it automatically associates with the ".doc" extension, which was previously associated to Wordpad by default. This doesn't mean that now all .doc files will only be viewable through Word; It means that when you double click on a .doc file, it will open itself with Word. The only exception is Internet Explorer: It is a single program and needs to be able to open many types of files, and it prefers to look at the format of the file rather than its extension, which is why the .txt extension doesn't make images to be read as text. In the past, it had the serious vulnerability of reading programs with .mid or .wav extension as programs! This vulnerability existed in IE 5.5 and previous versions, and is system-wide. It's a big reason to upgrade to IE 6.

-Yoshi

[This message has been edited by Yoshi (edited June 20, 2003).]
How do I add custom avatars? The feature doesn't seem to be working