Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Really GOOD finds ?  (Read 14263 times)

Offline Bob Masters

Really GOOD finds ?
« on: May 20, 2000, 10:43:00 am »
Has anyone out there ever found a REALLY GOOD bulb or related item at one of these new Antiwue Malls ? I keep finding "Duds" for $20+++ and It's frustrating !
-Bob-

------------------

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2000, 11:07:00 am »
Well, this doesn't happen for me very often but I stumbled upon a nice Swan lamp (shown below) at a shop in Lansing, MI. about a month ago for next to nothing. Most everthing I find are dud cage filament Mazda types. Anyone else finding interesting bulbs locally???

------------------
-Tim

Offline Bob Masters

Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2000, 11:10:00 am »
My ! The humiliation that bulb must have endured, just to survive all of these years ! Ha Ha Ha......

INCREDIBLE FIND !!!!!!!

-Bob-

Offline Dave

Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2000, 08:17:00 pm »
That's an excellent find, Tim. So far, the best antique lamp I found in an antique store was a HYLO lamp, circa 1905, with intact and working carbon filaments, and no darkening. Yes, it is true, most of the bulbs I find at antique stores are Mazdas and typically overcharged.

DMD

Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2000, 06:58:00 am »
Tim, That is one awesome looking lamp. Bring it along with yah on the 10th of June. Mabe I can chisel it from you somehow.  I dont think I ever found anything that even comes close to that at a Antique Shop or a Flea Market.These early lamps are extremely difficult to find anywhere.

Offline Scott

Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2000, 10:51:00 am »
My first two antique bulbs were free-they were being tossed out when the college I used to work at cleaned out their Science building's basement. I wound up with a working North American Lamp co. carbon filament bulb, and a few GE argon gas bulbs (AR-2, I believe)-for those interested in what I call"the chase"-getting out and looking for stuff-it pays to know people who tear down buildings for a living. Not demolish buildings-but take them apart for scrap. This is getting more and more popular. Some friends of mine did this back in the late 1980's, and you'd be surprised at the stuff they salvaged. Scott

Offline Bob Masters

Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2000, 12:41:00 pm »
There are still a lot of things hiding in those old buildings eh ? I'd like to get my hands on one of those really old bulb flashing units (trailing lights) they used in the really old movie theaters. I've got a hunch there are quite a few out there !

------------------

Offline Scott

Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2000, 07:59:00 pm »
Well, on the order of theatrical lighting, I have a mogul base 1000 watt bulb I bought at a yard sale for fifty cents. It looks unused,and is still in the box. Judging from the box, I'd guess it's from the 1930's, and the woman who ran the yard sale said it was used for theatrical spots.

Offline Ray Minton

• New Member!
Really GOOD finds ?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2000, 11:01:00 pm »
I think my best find right now is this AWESOME SIGHT :-)
Ray Minton