BULB DISCUSSION BOARDS > Christmas Lighting

21-light 8v twinkle set

<< < (3/3)

JCIV:
Thanks Adam2, I'm thinking you are right. I've found several other miniature flasher bulbs, is there any way I can tell if they are series- or parallel-type without risking my transformer? I can find some used bulbs, but finding new ones in packaging (with the electrical info) are hard to find.

adam2:
The best way of testing would be to connect the unknown lamp to a six volt battery, via a 0.3 amp fuse.
If the lamp lights once and then the fuse or the lamp blows, you have an unsuitable lamp, where the bi-metalic strip is in parralell with the filament.

If the lamp flashes repeatedly then it is the sort with the bi-metalic strip in series with the filament, and should be fine to use.

RMSH:
Update on finding NEW replacement bulbs. 

Check-out lionsdenantiques.com.  I e-mailed the owner to get a contact phone number, was able to ask questions, and obtained new bulbs for my lights.  They work!  I still need to monitor the transformer so that it doesn't get too hot. 

I hoped, yet I never believed, I would be able to get this string working again.  This has been a Merry Christmas!!

markie4now:
Royal manufactured the same lights in the 1950s.  I have two sets that belonged to my father, also.  The transformer has a fuse that can be replaced; it's a SFE 4 amp automobile fuse.  The side panel of the box states: 15 watts, 60 cycles, with a secondary voltage of 7.7 and will operate on AC only.  T-3 1/4 radio panel bulbs may be used to replace lights if necessary.

randrperry:
I found 3 sets of these in the attic. They all work. I don't understand why there are 2 bulbs in the set with larger bulbs and sockets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version