BULB DISCUSSION BOARDS > Modern Electric Lighting

Neon flicker-flame lamps

(1/3) > >>

Justin:
Does anyone else seem to find a high failure rate of these?  They seem to stop flickering, and then I flick them, they flicker for a second and go out again.  And one the other day got a hairline crack and all of the neon exchanged out.

Christmas Lamp:
Hi Justin, Are You talking about Full Sized Flicker's or the kind You get in Christmas Welcome Arches?
Thanks

Justin:

--- Quote ---Hi Justin, Are You talking about Full Sized Flicker's or the kind You get in Christmas Welcome Arches?
Thanks
--- End quote ---
I think they're full size.  I have nevr seen a Christmas Welcome Arch.  They operate on 120V ac 60HZ. and have a candleabra base (E12 IIRC).
Thanks.

Hemingray:
I've seen em stop as well, just sit there glowing, but eventually they resume their merry flickering patterns.

adam2:
IME, the voltage accross a neon lamp tends to increase as the lamp ages.
Here in the UK with 230/240 volt mains, this does not matter within reason. If the lamp voltage increases from say 85 volts to 125 volts, the lamp will still light, though slightly dimmer since there will be less voltage accross the internal dropper resistor.

In the USA with only 120 volt mains supply, the lamp voltage might increase to the point where the lamp wont strike reliably or at all.

Neon flicker lamps in the UK seem reliable, often lasting 10 years or more, suggesting this may be line voltage related.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version