Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Pilling-Made, Portable Electric light Pointer  (Read 6338 times)

Offline Hal Kravig

• New Member!
Pilling-Made, Portable Electric light Pointer
« on: February 16, 2003, 01:58:00 pm »
Another interesting light bulb story.  Our laser pointer went out at work and I laughingly said I had a very early electric pointer that I could bring in until ours was fixed.  I dug it out and seriously looked at it for the first time this weekend.

Years ago I bought a new in the box flashlight pointer made by Pilling, Phila., Pa.  It was made by The George P. and Son Co. "Perfected thru the cooperation of Chevalier Jackson, M.D." from an Eveready 3-cell Flashlight Body.

The flashlight pointer was for use (as pictured) in electronic light pointing at X-rays, etc. and was modified to make the flashlight to focus a spot on a screen 15ft. to 30ft. away.  There is a variable focus 5" barrel attached at the point where the lens on a normal flashlight would be.  The other end that unscrews to replace batteries has a neat disc attached to the Eveready part and is nicely chromed with the word "Pilling-Phila" engraved in the disc.  Inside the cap you can see the embossed Eveready Made in USA Logo in reverse image.

The instructions state how to replace batteries, focus and use and info about the lamps which are apparently very unique.  It states: "New lamps may be purchased in any electrical supply store by asking for 13-3.8 volt lamps, but a specially designed lamp, furnished by ourselves, with black background, known as Pilling Black Background Electric Pointer Lamp (price, 25 cents each), may be purchased from us."

There are three bulbs. One in the flashlight and two in a wooden block bulb holder as spares. the one in the flashlight pointer and one of the spares is the black background variety.

If these were "special" bulbs they must be quite rare as there is no identifying number on the spare bulb.  The pointer box is cardboard with padding in each end to protect the focus lens either way it is inserted in the box.  Overall a very neat display piece and maybe some valuable bulb history.  I can include digital photo images if desired and someone tells me how.

Any thoughts? Hal Kravig, Memphis
Hal Kravig, Memphis, TN

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Pilling-Made, Portable Electric light Pointer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 05:45:00 pm »
Thanks for sharing your story Hal. ?I'll be the first to say that yes, I think a picture or two would be interesting to see. ?

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 06:11:08 pm by tim »